1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Default Bought used Droid, with 2.2 installed. Reboots.

So, after changing the oil in my car yesterday, I was smart and left my Moto Droid in the driveway during a thunderstorm. Overnight in rice didn't do it, she's toast.

Found a guy on craigslist nearby who was selling a Droid (he just bought the Evo). Before anyone might point out that I got scammed, this guy is straight up solid. He's a user on many of the Droid forums, I met him at his work, and we were on a 3 way call with Verizon to fix an issue with changing my number over to my 'new' phone.

Anyhow, the Droid I bought is rooted, is running 2.2 and has the 2.6.32.9 (P3Droid) kernel.

Since I got my this phone activated (about 10 hours ago now), I've had at least 9-10 reboots (that I've seen). I've seen a few other threads with this issue, but this is my question:

Obviously, how can I fix this? And as nice as 2.2 seems, I'd be fine with rolling back to 2.1, as this phone is basically my office, and can't have this many reboots.

If there's a kernal that's working better than the one I have, fine, help? But once again, dumping 2.2 and unrooting would be solid for me too. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to be as specific as I could as to not leave anyone wondering what was wrong when attempting to help.

Thanks, in advance.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

your best bet is to downgrade kernels. get setcpu or something like that and let me know what speed the kernel is running at. if you don't have setcpu that could be the issue. try this kernel straight download
    hopefully this helps.
    Rooted for life

ROM
    AOSP by preferance

I'd just hold off for the latest build of Froyo 2.2 it should be leaked tomorrow over at Droid-Life.com so keep an eye over there. that is supposedly a more stable build and it comes with more features.
    Blackberry Storm 9530 (1 year)>
    Motorola Droid [Rooted] (Froyo 2.2 --> 1Ghz ultra low voltage) (8 months)>
    Motorola Droid X [Rooted] (Fission v2.6.1 --> 1Ghz--> low voltage)(10 months)>
    HTC Droid Eris [Rooted] (CM 7) (risky outdoors device)(current)>
    HTC Droid Incredible [Rooted] (CM 7)[Bad ESN <craigslist scam>](just a tablet now)>
    Motorola Droid 2 [Rooted] (GingerBread v2.3.3 Blur v4.5.153 --> 1Ghz) (Current)[/FONT]

Next device: Samsung Galaxy S II

If you get rom manager and rom manager premium in the market, you can download the stock 2.1 rooted image and load that. Then you can go to whatever 2.1 rom you like.
    a little obsessive...

You can do a few different things. Just download the free ROM Manager from the Market where you can DL/Flash either Cyanogen or a Stock Image. If neither works try unrooting and start fresh.
    The Pipester has spoken.

Nexus 5 (Rooted/Xposed/GravityBox)
    Nexus 7 (Stock)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Thanks everyone, for ideas and offers to help, especially those who wrote privately, and spent countless minutes/hours on chat with me to get this fixed.

I found this thread over at Android Forums, someone having the same problem. Recently, people there were saying that it was an application (or multiple applications), the main culprit was YouMail. I uninstalled that and haven't had a reboot in 2 1/2 hours (I was getting them about every 15 minutes).

I hope this does the trick, and hope it helps someone else along the way that might be having this issue.
    Last edited by thekC; 06-12-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks for the tip! I've been having this problem after upgrading to 2.2 and could not figure out what it was. I figured it was an app because I never had the problem before installing them. YouMail was the only one I didn't remove. I'm gonna give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by thekC View Post
    Thanks everyone, for ideas and offers to help, especially those who wrote privately, and spent countless minutes/hours on chat with me to get this fixed.

I found this thread over at Android Forums, someone having the same problem. Recently, people there were saying that it was an application (or multiple applications), the main culprit was YouMail. I uninstalled that and haven't had a reboot in 2 1/2 hours (I was getting them about every 15 minutes).

I hope this does the trick, and hope it helps someone else along the way that might be having this issue.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Nice, I hope it works out for you. My phone has been a champ ever since deleting this application, no reboots to speak of.

I've been in touch with a guy at YouMail, and he's very concerned about getting this fixed. This was the first he's heard of it, surprisingly.