1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Updating ROM and Restoring App data question.

I'm currently running the FR57 stock 2.2 ROM. If I backup my apps and data with Titanium backup (donate version), then update to BuglessBeast .21 or JRummy Kangerade (not sure which I'll go to yet), can I just restore Apps + App Data + System data and get everything back?

I'm tired of having to redo my screens every time I update. Will restoring the system data from a 2.2 ROM to another 2.2 ROM cause problems? What are the pros/cons to doing this?

Thanks.
    Android Advocate

Global Posts
    3,848 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1.2/Stock

That's a good question. I just used Titanium Backup and still had to redo my screens.

whenever i use titanium backup, and i've been usung it for a looong time now, i restore my apps plus their data and only a couple system files. those would be sms/mms, and more recently, music playlist. whenever i restore my homescreen, i always have to redo widgets, everything else is fine.

Last time I did this I switched from BB V0.1 to 0.2.1 and after doing a Titanium restore when I selected Launcher Pro, all my screens came up. I was psyched, but with 0.2.1 I was having issues getting some of the apps installed (that's another issue) and I went back to 0.1.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

i gave up trying and just get apps from appbrain acc.
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2

Global Posts
    1,135 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

i gave up on titanium backup too i got much more errors using it to isntall apps than if i were to not use and it go through the market or appbrain. I would be willing to try premium version but only if it is sold through the market
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

titanium does work its magic really well. if anybody is hesitant in paying for the full version because it isn't available in the market, i know where you are coming from. i was too but then i decided to bite the bullet and go for it. it is all done through pay pal so it should not be possible for you to get scammed. i got my activation thing the next day and it is amazing. so much quicker and easier then the free one.

all i can say is if you think it would benefit you to get the donate version, then i would. think of it this way, if you do like titanium (the free one) this is your way of giving back to the developer and all of his hard work. plus you get a perk for donating, a better version of the app.

this is just my opinion though

I have to agree with Brett, I've been using the paid version from the time i rooted and have saved hours of reinstalling apps and homescreens. I always wipe data when i switch roms because i know after i reinstall titanium i will have my homescreens back to how i want them in about 3 minutes with all my apps and their data. I have never had a problem.
    Motorola Droid2

Global Posts
    1,135 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I've been debating on getting it but hesitant think I might try it out thanks for the feedback
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I ended up going with the JRummy because it didn't require a wipe, and BuglessBeast has a few minor issues. It was a simple upgrade with Rom Manager.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Even if it doesn't require you to wipe it will help to eliminate the chance for errors or issue if you do

I use ADW launcher just for this reason. The newer versions has an option to backup Desktop config and launcher settings. It has worked for me regardless of ROM I've used. It's also just as fast as launcher pro after you switch up a couple settings IMO.
    Android Version - 2.2 (Froyo)
    Build - Froyo Kangerade V1.0 (Strawberry)
    Baseband - C_01.43.01P