Rooting tonight, which to choose?

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
So Im taking the rooting plunge tonight on my Moto Droid. Ive been looking at how to vids and it seems pretty straight forward and shouldn't pose a problem * knock on wood* ;)

I was looking at the cyanogen one which looks really cool but since Im new to rooting, what do u all recommend as the best out there right now?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I recommend Bugless Beast v0.4. In my opinion, Froyo is phenomenal, and this ROM is one of the best ones out there. Although Cyanogen sounds great, it's still only a RC, and I hear a few complaints about the market as well as stability. At least from my experience, Bugless Beast is pretty well polished, and works right out of the box.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Cyanogen Rom RC1 has some stability quirks, I finally flashed away from it today to Jrummy's Kangarade. I'm Flashing back to it as soon as it's an official release though. CyanogenROM is by far my favorite.

If you are just starting try Bugless Beast,Jrummy, or Sapphire. They're all very stable.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
If your going to flash a rom don't flash a 2.1 rom. Its pointless at this point. You should download a froyo rom so you see the perks of having a rooted phone. Any of the ones mentioned are stable. Even cyanogenmod is too, don't know what the other person was referring to.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I've heard very mixed reactions. Some say you need to install a market fix, others say that it's rather laggy and buggy, and then some say that cyanogen is perfect. I'm probably gonna try it out, once the final version is released. Bugless Beast, at least for me, works flawlessly. No market fixes needed, virtually no bugs. I guess it also varies from device to device?

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Just got finished rooting, that was quite easy. I did run into 1 issue, the RSD Lite which I thought was already running as Administrator apparently was not and I got a "critical error" on my phone right into the middle of the flash process. I went into panic mode because the program froze, my phone was frozen so I had no choice but to unplug and try to reboot. Of course at this point I had a white screen and whole lot of nuthin! I was about to jump out of window until I did some research and found out others had seen this problem before too. I powered off my droid, unplugged usb cable. I powered it back up using the Power & Up on the D pad. I then got back to the boot loader and restarted RSD Light (after making sure it was in admin status this time) and then was able to flash the rom. I did notice that when RSD Lite showed at 99% I got a failure error, but i waited for about 3 min and my phone rebooted itself and came up..WHEW!! I was back on 2.0.1 and then was able to root to 2.1 without an issue.

Now Im flashing different roms trying to find one I like. So far I've tried a basic Froyo release and also Cyanogenmod 5.0.8. Haven't decided which I like yet but Im still working on it.

OVerall, save for the mishap with RSD Lite, the whole process is pretty simple and now Im running at 800 mhz and things are trucking along smoothly. I just gotta find one I like and then reinstall all my apps.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Second for bugles 0.4. I haven't had any problems with it at all and it's super quick. You can get rom manager in the market and try out a bunch of different rooms quite easily.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The vid I watched suggested it was necessary to go back to 2.0.1 and then flash the 2.1 rooted rom and then from there be able to add any custom rom that you wanted.

Either way it worked well, and right now Im running Froyo on my rooted droid...so far it's great. running at 800mhz doesn't seem to affect my battery temp at all, which is good. I'll just have to monitor the battery usage and see how it goes.

I'll try bugless beast next and see how that one works :)

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Ive noticed a substantial decrease in my battery life since I rooted last night, I'm guessing that is mainly due to the over clocking? or do rooted phones generally have worse battery life? The only thing different from my non rooted phone, as far as running apps is the setcpu, and the 800mhz kernel that I put in. right now though I have it set at 600mhz max and 500 min. Are there better settings to use?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Ive noticed a substantial decrease in my battery life since I rooted last night, I'm guessing that is mainly due to the over clocking? or do rooted phones generally have worse battery life? The only thing different from my non rooted phone, as far as running apps is the setcpu, and the 800mhz kernel that I put in. right now though I have it set at 600mhz max and 500 min. Are there better settings to use?

I'm set at the two extremes: 800 max and 125 min... battery life is good for me.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I think I've settled on a rom that I like now. I tried the Cyanogenmod 5.0.8, and a basic Froyo release I found, and then I tried bugless beast v.04. BB runs the best on my droid and I like it alot, not the least of which is the cool boot animation..LOL.

I did like cyanogenmod a lot too but it seemed to really bog down my droid, even when I did use an 800 mhz kernel and turned off the live wallpapers. I actually had to try it twice because the first time I flashed it my phone went into an infinite boot loop, so I rewiped it, installed again and then it was ok, except for the really slow performance. It's possible I might have done something wrong but I don't think so. Either way though the guys on cyanogenmod website were very helpful in pointing me to the correct zip file to use and also making sure i had the google apps zip file to flash too.

Im gonna stick with BB for now, it seems to be running great and came standard with 800mhz, so I reset up my setcpu to 800 max and 600 min....but then I set up profiles for when the screen is off or the battery is below 15% and cranked both of those down to help save battery.

So far so good, and it's getting easier and easier each time I flash a new one.

One thing is for sure, Im loving flash!!!

Thank you all for the help and advice!

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
imo cyanogen destorys bb this time. for me i tried both and bb's battery life was beyond horrible. cyanogen is rock solid.

anyways, try them both, thats the point of rooting, no limits :)

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
so far the battery life using BB v.04 seems to be a tad better than the stock, which is good for me. I unplugged from the AC charger this morning and right now as we speak after moderate use today I'm at 38% battery still. That's about average for me so I can't complain too much. I will continue to monitor though and see how it goes, so far so good :D