2.2 Native Tethering

voc627

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently running BB V0.4, and the native tethering is taking me to a Verizon "blah blah pay us more money even though you have a data plan" web site.

Does anyone know if that's a BB problem, if maybe cyanogen RC1/2 doesn't have the same problem?

Edit:
Or maybe someone could point me to a guide to get PDAnet working with ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Last edited:

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Nope. It's a restriction that Verizon imposed in FroYo's native tethering. And there aren't Linux drivers for PDANet on their website? I could've sworn they had them.

voc627

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
No drivers the last time I checked, it installs fine with WINE but doesn't recognize the phone when prompted to plug the phone into the USB.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently running BB V0.4, and the native tethering is taking me to a Verizon "blah blah pay us more money even though you have a data plan" web site.

Does anyone know if that's a BB problem, if maybe cyanogen RC1/2 doesn't have the same problem?

Edit:
Or maybe someone could point me to a guide to get PDAnet working with ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I posted this thread a while back. You may be able to get it working for you:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid/10628-tether-linux.html

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Wireless works fine but I was hoping for a usb solution.

Here you go:

Thanks for suggesting the Google search. I found one post that may help. I will try this tonight and replay back.

Here is the link I found that may be as of use:

Linux + GNU = Humans Enabled: Tether your Verizon Droid (as an Internet modem) to Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10

Cut from article:

1.) Download the current Android SDK (Linux version) from:Download the Android SDK | Android Developers

2.) Extract the SDK, then navigate to the folder where the adb application is:

tar xvf android-sdk_r04-linux_86.tgz
cd android-sdk-linux_86/tools

3.) Copy the "adb" application to your Ubuntu /usr/bin directory (sudo privs needed)

sudo cp adb /usr/bin/adb

4.) Create/edit/save a rules file for udev to allow your machine to see your device

sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/91-android.rules

Put the text below into the file(using "i" to enter "insert" mode and hitting the escape key to return to "select" mode before saving.. C'mon, what fun would Linux be without using vi? If you really don't like vi, you can substitute with something like gedit, or nano, or kate, or etc.), replace USERNAME with your Linux username, then type ZZ to save the file from vi.

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8", SYMLINK+="android_adb", MODE="0666", OWNER="USERNAME"

5.) Set the appropriate permissions to the rules file you just created.

sudo chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/91-android.rules

6.) Restart udev to load the new rule.

sudo restart udev

7.) Enable "USB debugging" on your Verizon Droid via Settings>Applications>Development

8.) Connect your Droid to the computer with the USB cable and then use the following adb command to check for your device.

adb devices

example:
$ adb devices
List of devices attached
040364FA0901E011

9.) Install openvpn on Ubuntu so you can connect to your device with it.

sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn openvpn
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart

10.) Install openvpn on your Verizon Droid. Note: the line "adb install" actually installs the azilink application on your Droid device. After azilink is installed, an icon that looks like a flying insect will appear on your Droid in th applications area.

cd /home/Downloads/
mkdir azilink
cd azilink
wget http://lfx.org/azilink/azilink.apk
adb install azilink.apk
wget http://azilink.googlecode.com/files/azilink.ovpn

11.) Create a replacement resolv.conf file to be copied over to your /etc directory at run-time:

vi resolv.conf

#Type in the text below(hit "i" for insert first, then ESC after the insert, before saving) and then hit ZZ to save

domain lan
search lan
nameserver 192.168.56.1

12.) Now create a very small script to start the modem

vi start_modem

#Type in the text below, then hit ZZ to save
adb forward tcp:41927 tcp:41927
sudo cp resolv.conf /etc/
sudo openvpn --config azilink.ovpn

13.) Set your new script to be executable.

chmod 755 start_modem

14.) On your Verizon Droid, launch the azilink app and place a checkmark by "Service active" so it can receive the connection from your Ubuntu machine.

15.) With your wireless connection in Ubuntu "unchecked"(via right-click of the Network manager applet), launch the the connection script you just made in the Terminal:

/home/Downloads/azilink/start_modem

You should now be able to surf the Internet, using your Verizon Droid as a tethered modem. When you're finished - hit ctrl+c at the Terminal from which you started the connection script. Then uncheck "Service active" in Azilink on your Droid.

heavyvino

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
So as a new droid owner is it the wireless teather that verzion disabled or will I still be able to teather with the usb and a cable. I currenty use easy teather.

Also where should I start to read about root for the droid, because if I can't teather I will have to root.