1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A kernels relation to heat question

First off, this is my first post, I picked up my droid and customized it beyond what I thought was possible thanks in huge part to the pages in this forum, so thank you everyone who teaches the new kids!

My question involves phone temp and the kernel I am running. I have found that when my phone is running max at 1250mhz during movies and games in just a few min the phone hits 105F and my SetCPU warning goes off. This is to be expected, heat and speed tend to go togeather.
    Now that I am getting more familiar with the phone I have a lot more game and movie usage demand and I tend to run with the speed set at 700-1000 and I am still hitting 105, just not as fast.
    So the question is, will all kernels that are supposed to be the same speed cause the same heat? Or is it possible that the "P3Droid kernel 1000mhz LV" will run cooler than the "ChevyNO1 1000mhz LV" when both are set at the same 700-1000 range?
    One OS for work, one OS for hacking the PS3, and one OS for chattin with hot babes, are we having fun yet?!?
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Yes it is possible different people code their kernels differently. I personally can't run Chevy's lv kernels but I can run p3's one uses lower voltage than the other so yes their directly correlated just as ambient temperature use etc. I find if I'm playing a game or watching a movie I will lower my CPU speed. Seeing the gpu provides most of the power I have no need for 1.2 . Also watching movies early on their was a synchronization issue between the speed and playback so the video would crash or sound would be off. But just one tip if watching a movie or playing a game pull the minimum CPU speed back to the lowest just so your CPU isn't working hard when it doesn't have to
    Rooted for life
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hey thanks for the reply, I played around with it a bit and I see what you are saying. I now run my snes games at 700 and they work fine and it never overheats. If it becomes a problem again I will check out some of the other kernels.
    One OS for work, one OS for hacking the PS3, and one OS for chattin with hot babes, are we having fun yet?!?

105F really isn't that hot.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Depends if your talking about battery temp and CPU temp for the CPU that's nothing battery well mine hasn't burned up yet
    Rooted for life

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

I have been wondering about this for some time. Currently, I am using BB v0.4 and the stock kernel, enabling me to OC to 800MHZ. If I upgrade to a lower voltage kernel that enables me to OC to 1GHZ, will the battery performance/temp remain comparable? What are the advantages and disadvantages of remaining with the BB stock kernel as opposed to the lower voltage one?
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)