Root before or after Froyo?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It really doesn't matter in the end, the result is the same. I would do now just so you have the binaries in the system. If you had to ask me for my personal opinion though? I'd say screw the official OTA. Root and load the first leaked 2.2. Its essentially the exact same thing, minus borking your boot-loader and prevent SBF flashes.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
just scroll down and see all of the problems people are having. The clear majority of users who are having issues are folks who rooted their phones before the update.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You really don't need to root unless you feel the need to run ROM's.

If you do root, wait until you have updated. My advise is to also only used officially released OS's as well. The leaked versions don't have the final tweaks the official build does and you generally only have to wait a couple weeks to get the official version while everyone else runs the leaked version.

I also suggest you flash your phone back to stock before installing a new official version over an OS you have used for a while. YES, you will have to reinstall all your favorite apps and settings. However, your phone will run MUCH better as a result. This is no different than reformatting your computer hard drive before installing a new OS.

thirdeye7

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I was rooted on 2.1 then I unrooted before the ota. Update went down without a hitch and now I'm rooted on official 2.2. I haven't loaded any roms but there are a number of useful apps available for rooted users.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon