Anyone Else Skeptical About Rooting Droid?

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I know others are doing it at a successful rate but its just something about knowing if I do something wrong and brick my phone I'm effed. So I'm just gonna wait until I see a comfortable amount of people get it, and then I'll jump on board. Anybody feel like me?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
As soon as someone can pull a real system dump so you can restore it, I say go for it. It's not a bad idea to wait until then though, as you may be going without your phone for a couple of days waiting for something to reload on it :)

The 'hack' itself is pretty straightforward. It's the other things that may go wrong that you need to worry about lol.

*edit*
WTF am i saying. Dude, you guide airplanes. You can do this with zero issues :D

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
As soon as someone can pull a real system dump so you can restore it, I say go for it. It's not a bad idea to wait until then though, as you may be going without your phone for a couple of days waiting for something to reload on it :)

The 'hack' itself is pretty straightforward. It's the other things that may go wrong that you need to worry about lol.

*edit*
WTF am i saying. Dude, you guide airplanes. You can do this with zero issues :D

Lol. This is true =)

Jk. But yeah, I'm in no rush.

nonie3234

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I feel like an idiot, but - perhaps this is the best thread to admit that I don't even know what "rooting" means. I am envious, because I see it discussed over and over - but I'm not sure what it is or even how to find out. Soooo.....I'm prolly not the best candidate to actually DO it.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Rooting a phone just means gaining root access to the Android/Linux OS on your phone.

Now as for why one would want to do so, well, it made upgrading my firmware less painful as I was able to use SuperRoot, RA-pulse-v1.5.2 and Quick Boot to backup everything before doing the firmware upgrade so that I could restore it all to my newly wiped out phone (firmware upgrades wipes everything out and literally puts it back to factory settings, so being able to have root access to do all the backup stuff on a Pulse is a good thing).

It is no harder than upgrading a windows OS to root an Android Phone.

brendanb

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Like gbhil said, it's tough to brick your device by just getting root access on your phone, it's really some of the things that you CAN do after you root it that can get you into trouble. It's really an easy process.

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah and especially after seeing the 2.1 leak I'd be rooting all night and have 2.1 on my Droid that morning:D

Too bad I have an Eris and my mom...yeah my mom...has the Droid. Don't get wrong once the Eris is rooted I'll be one happy SOB.

Last edited:

legacy23

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
i was skeptical as well but i just sucked it up and did it... and i have absolutely NO experience with android....trust me when i say it is sooo easy

Zaeolos

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's super hard to brick a phone now if you first make a backup with one of the custom recoveries. And even still, we have RSD Lite to pull us out of a jam.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I wonder, how do we brick the Droid completely?

No idea. I've clunked around installing rom after rom after rom in the past few days, and things have gotten a bit sketchy, but the phone's still chugging along like a champ. Rom Manager makes it damn near bulletproof. I think I may have come close to screwing things up trying to get one of the 2.2 ROMs on the phone that aren't in the Rom Manager. When things started to look like it was going to screw things up, a quick wipe of the cache seemed to get things going nicely again, and one of the baseband updates has really boosted my signal strength tremendously.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I think the only real way to brick your phone is to fry the processor and/or other internal components. For almost everything else you can just flash a recovery then install a backup or even a rom

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
with all due respect, at this point in the game this conversation is just ridiculous.

there are hundreds of posts on this very forum explaining how LAUGHABLY easy it is to root your phone and enjoy all of these wonderful features you can't otherwise enjoy. despite all of the language that may lead you to think otherwise, my experience has been that rooting your phone is very easy, and incredibly low risk. as one poster mentioned, RSD Lite seems to be a pretty good safety net. it would seem there is very little you can do to PERMANENTLY brick your phone, and even those are things you would do AFTER rooting, no so much DURING the rooting process.

if all of the posts, step by step how-to's, and stories haven't convinced you yet, then you aren't going to be convinced. i have ONE friend who has still yet to root his phone, but he is just plain happy with his phone the way it is -- some of us like to tinker, some don't. even that friend is considering rooting now that we have a fully functioning 2.2 rom.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Overclocking is hte most useful thing you'll ever do. It's like having a brand new phone

I disagree. I've tried overclocking up to 1Ghz, and had some minor instabilities from time to time. And the phone ran too hot for my comfort.

I think i might be slightly overclocked to 600. To me, overclocking is over-hyped and my droid flies already.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I disagree. I've tried overclocking up to 1Ghz, and had some minor instabilities from time to time. And the phone ran too hot for my comfort.

I think i might be slightly overclocked to 600. To me, overclocking is over-hyped and my droid flies already.

overclocking isn't for everybody. i do believe it that more people do it just because everybody else says it is better but people need to do what is better for them. if you are hesitant to over clock, by all means either don't over clock or overclock a little bit. overclocking can potentially fry your cpu and/or shorten it lifetime. if you plan on keeping the phone for the full 2 years of your contract then i would recommend doing research and seeing what settings are good and what kind of negative effects can come from it.

as for the instabilities and temps, it all differs from each kernel. some phones can handle 1 kernel really well and other can handle multiple kernels. it all depends. if you feel comfortable overclocking i would say to try a different kernel and see what kind of results you get.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza