I'm completly lost

DAFBFD58

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok been on the fence about rooting my moto droid since I bought it. it works fine now but more and more i read it sounds like I will enjoy the droid better when its rooted. First do I have to download the update.zip to a cpu or can it be done directly with the droid? Can this be done while I am using version 2.2.1 this version stuff is about confusing as the rooting thing. froyo, gingerbread WTF is all that mean. I was a decent blackberry user before I got the droid and knew the ins and outs of using the BB. Now I just get by with the droid. There are options I wish i had with my BB that I dont have on the droid. different notifications for text messages from certain contacts is one. I get my fire dept calls by text alot of times and I can not change that exact text to a certain tone, so most of the time I jump whne the phone goes off for a text. Can that notification issue be fixed with a rooted droid or is there a program/app that can do that with out rooting the phone. Sorry for all the questions in one post but I just want to be able to get the most out of my phone and maybe help the GF get hers running better. Her's is a "POS" acording to her. Even though I have added the same apps I have her's just runs like poop. So maybe if I root mine and get it running better I will do her droid and fix her complaining. So once again can any one help this lost droid fan??????

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
there are a few ways to root. I was old school and used rsd and sp recovery. Tons of fun. Someone will come in here and give you updated, easy instructions!

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I have found the process of rooting and installing customer ROMs quite easy. I used z4 to root and ROM Manager to install CM6.1.

I also use SetCPU to overclock to 800mhz,

Running at 800 mhz made the phone work so much better,

I used this article as a reference on ROM Manager...almost a step by step guide.
How to Choose the Right Android ROM for You

DAFBFD58

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Here is the thing. I have tried to root it. But it doesn't seem to be rooted. I did the update.zip thing with the system restore and all that. Everything I have read says I should be able to tell but I can't. Can someone link the correct update.zip and point out the next step for me to include a decent app that allows me to overclock the cpu

DAFBFD58

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok finally got it rooted last night. Followed the steps from TheUnlockr.com - Cell Phone How To's, Phone Reviews, and Wireless News!. Had to do the more involved root but I got it. Now here is the other question, roms...... is there a listing of options that come with roms or should I just simply start a new thread looking for what i want and see what people suggest. For example the text message notification thing. Thats one thing I would like more control over. I'm tired of jumping for the phone every time it goes off. So I guess I have to wait for some help or go looking for it.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You should be able to change the notification sounds for individual contacts without root.

But for the ROMs.. check out Droidforums.net. There are whole discussion subforums set up for all of the major ROMs available. You shouldn't need any information that you can't find on that site.

DAFBFD58

May 23, 2010
Visit site
you can only change the ring tone not contact text message tone. BB you can put a sound for each way a person can contact you. phone, text, email (even multiple accounts) bbm, aim all of it. Each could have a different sound. The screwy thing is the one account I want to have a fire related sound for my droid is a text message, but its from an email account. Even if it came over as a numerical text I still can't assign a different alert to it. If there is a way to do it, some one needs to let me know.

Ratchet

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
DAFB. You need to drop the sound you wish to use for text notifications onto your SD card.

Folder location on your card should be media\audio\noticiations After you place it there, open your messaging app. Tap menu>settings>notification settings>select ringtone

If this account is physically listed within the email accounts of your phone, go into that particular account. Tap menu>account settings>select ringtone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech