Rooting Original Droid

kurtisloew

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up an original Droid from a friend and looking to root it, but can't find anything to work with 2.2.1 with build FRG83D. Anyone know something that works?

hurtsellers

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
superoneclick

I just used superoneclick over at theunlockr.com; I tried everything and nothing seemed to work before that; and even with that I had to go three steps down into the "known issues" section. It seems like 2.2.1 is making things a little harder for some.

DAFBFD58

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had issues with that. go to unlockr's site and got under the how to for droid 1.
How To: Root the Motorola Droid | TheUnlockr
this is the one I used and did it in about 3 min once everything is downloaded. I suggest you create a back up right after this so if you decide to play around you can restore it back to your first rooting. The RSD lite is easier to deal with, well for me it was

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
This program took a bit of working thru as my OG Droid just didnt wanna do it till I got PDAnet involved then worked like a charm now Rooted!

What do you mean by this? I haven't seen any troubleshooting say anything about pdanet. I'm having trouble rooting my og droid (frg83d).

I'm starting to think maybe I need to do a factory reset (which i'd rather not do)

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, I want to root my Droid due to the serious "redraw" issues I am having, but I don't want to have to go through so many steps! I just want a true "one-click" solution. Install an app and press a button and it all just happens. Is there nothing like that?

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, I want to root my Droid due to the serious "redraw" issues I am having, but I don't want to have to go through so many steps! I just want a true "one-click" solution. Install an app and press a button and it all just happens. Is there nothing like that?

what do you mean "redraw" issues? Rooting your phone only gives you special permissions that you don't have with the phone stock, its not going to fix any issues your having...and there are lots of "one-click" options available, do some research and you will find them...

Last edited:

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
redraw as in it takes a minute for homescreen icons to appear. from what I gather, custom ROMs pretty much take care of that. I've had this problem since 2.2, and I'm trying to root and run a custom rom for pretty much the exact same reason.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There is a way to get the system to keep your home in memory without a custom rom (have to be rooted), but most roms have an option to do that as well.

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I still can't quite figure out how to root.

I did superOneClick, it says I'm rooted. I go to titanium backup, it says I'm not. I think maybe I have to get busybox (which I thought was installed from ROMmanager, or even titanium backup). but busybox says I'm rooted, but it can't find busybox.. and then I go to terminal, i still have $ and when I type su it says permission denied.

so, basically, I don't know if I'm rooted or not, lol.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
OK, I rooted and ran a special script that keeps the home screens in memory (the option in launcherpro is just a request, not a command!), and now it works great! No more redraw! And, I moved some more apps to SD, cleared my cache and installed a wifi tether app! It is like having a new phone!