Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting Original Droid

Just picked up an original Droid from a friend and looking to root it, but can't find anything to work with 2.2.1 with build FRG83D. Anyone know something that works?

Default superoneclick

I just used superoneclick over at theunlockr.com; I tried everything and nothing seemed to work before that; and even with that I had to go three steps down into the "known issues" section. It seems like 2.2.1 is making things a little harder for some.

I had issues with that. go to unlockr's site and got under the how to for droid 1.
    How To: Root the Motorola Droid | TheUnlockr
    this is the one I used and did it in about 3 min once everything is downloaded. I suggest you create a back up right after this so if you decide to play around you can restore it back to your first rooting. The RSD lite is easier to deal with, well for me it was
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Default Thanks

Super one click worked - thanks!

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I also used Superoneclick. worked well and it was my first time rooting. I'm now rocking CM6.1.2. Couldn't be happier.

Superoneclick worked, but can't get titanium backup to work in root, need a backup.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    BuglessBeast JB 4.1.1

This program took a bit of working thru as my OG Droid just didnt wanna do it till I got PDAnet involved then worked like a charm now Rooted!

Anyone have a method that works with Linux?
    GNex (Toro) running AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by michael styles View Post
    This program took a bit of working thru as my OG Droid just didnt wanna do it till I got PDAnet involved then worked like a charm now Rooted!
    What do you mean by this? I haven't seen any troubleshooting say anything about pdanet. I'm having trouble rooting my og droid (frg83d).

I'm starting to think maybe I need to do a factory reset (which i'd rather not do)

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

This is the way I rooted my Droid...little more complex than super one click, but it works!

Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Does anybody have a process that will work for the 2.2.1 FRG83D version cuz superoneclick keeps freezing.

could try "z4 mod" over at XDA

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mhova04 View Post
    Does anybody have a process that will work for the 2.2.1 FRG83D version cuz superoneclick keeps freezing.
    Look at my last post...it will work.

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts

Ugh, I want to root my Droid due to the serious "redraw" issues I am having, but I don't want to have to go through so many steps! I just want a true "one-click" solution. Install an app and press a button and it all just happens. Is there nothing like that?

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Ugh, I want to root my Droid due to the serious "redraw" issues I am having, but I don't want to have to go through so many steps! I just want a true "one-click" solution. Install an app and press a button and it all just happens. Is there nothing like that?
    what do you mean "redraw" issues? Rooting your phone only gives you special permissions that you don't have with the phone stock, its not going to fix any issues your having...and there are lots of "one-click" options available, do some research and you will find them...
    Last edited by scarryman04; 01-20-2011 at 01:51 PM.

redraw as in it takes a minute for homescreen icons to appear. from what I gather, custom ROMs pretty much take care of that. I've had this problem since 2.2, and I'm trying to root and run a custom rom for pretty much the exact same reason.

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Ooo got ya...I've still had that problem even with the modded ROMS I've used.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

There is a way to get the system to keep your home in memory without a custom rom (have to be rooted), but most roms have an option to do that as well.

I still can't quite figure out how to root.

I did superOneClick, it says I'm rooted. I go to titanium backup, it says I'm not. I think maybe I have to get busybox (which I thought was installed from ROMmanager, or even titanium backup). but busybox says I'm rooted, but it can't find busybox.. and then I go to terminal, i still have $ and when I type su it says permission denied.

so, basically, I don't know if I'm rooted or not, lol.

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts

OK, I rooted and ran a special script that keeps the home screens in memory (the option in launcherpro is just a request, not a command!), and now it works great! No more redraw! And, I moved some more apps to SD, cleared my cache and installed a wifi tether app! It is like having a new phone!

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

A rooted OG Droid is almost nothing like an unrooted one.

Also http://www.androidcentral.com/is-my-phone-rooted

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    I still can't quite figure out how to root.

I did superOneClick, it says I'm rooted. I go to titanium backup, it says I'm not. I think maybe I have to get busybox (which I thought was installed from ROMmanager, or even titanium backup). but busybox says I'm rooted, but it can't find busybox.. and then I go to terminal, i still have $ and when I type su it says permission denied.

so, basically, I don't know if I'm rooted or not, lol.
    Open your app drawer if you have a app called Superuser your rooted...and in terminal if you type "su" and get a # sign your rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by scarryman04 View Post
    Open your app drawer if you have a app called Superuser your rooted...and in terminal if you type "su" and get a # sign your rooted.
    I have a superuser app, but in terminal I type su and get permission denied. and no #, i have the $.

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    I have a superuser app, but in terminal I type su and get permission denied. and no #, i have the $.
    Then superoneclick must of rooted you then unrooted you...try the method I posted earlier, its more complex but actually works.