Post Root Questions

Nkass21

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I am by no means a hacker, but rooting seems to be very useful so i have a few questions...
1.)How do you root a Droid?
2.)Does this violate your contract like jailbreaking an iPhone does?
3.)Will the phone still recieve OTA updates (I'm waiting for 2.1)?

thanks

dcarlton35

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I am by no means a hacker, but rooting seems to be very useful so i have a few questions...

thanks

To answer your questions:
1.) There is a sticky at the top that gives you directions on how to root, first off but here is the link as well.
2.)Rooting your phone voids the manufacturers warranty but, if not done right, can brick your phone.
3.) OTA updates do not occur with a rooted phone but once it has been officially release, there are cookers(ROM Developers) that will add the functionality that the update provides.

Good luck!

P.S.
I don't even own a Droid yet!
I just did some intensive research!

weirdkid

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
No, it won't. You can always revert back to stock and recieve OTA updates again.

thanks
Don't have an answer to the first two.

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I had some free time this weekend and after reading the recent articles about whether to root prior to the OTA 2.2 arriving, I decided to take the plunge. Although I did have a few minor bumps along the way, I am now a "SuperUser" running Bugless Beast 1.1 at 800mhz.

One annoyance in getting to this state was that despite using Astro to backup my apps, I still lost all my call log history, all my stored text messages, all my Quick Profile settings, all my Launcher Pro Icon settings, all my App Organizer settings, all my Swype keyboard settings and User Dictionary definitions, and essentially every other customizable setting leaving me with a virgin phone. All the Astro backup did was basically make a list of my installed apps making it a little easier to re-download and re-install them from the Market.

This actually happened to me TWICE. First when I installed Bugless Beast 1.1 and then AGAIN when I installed the 800 mhz kernel.

I probably did something wrong to put myself into this situation, especially the second time when I installed the 800 kernel. I'm guessing I didn't need to "wipe data and cache" that time? Or is this going to happen every time I try to install a new ROM, new Kernel or new Theme? What can I do to make things easier on myself next time?

Last edited:

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I had some free time this weekend and after reading the recent articles about whether to root prior to the OTA 2.2 arriving, I decided to take the plunge. Although I did have a few minor bumps along the way, I am now a "SuperUser" running Bugless Beast 1.1 at 800mhz.

One annoyance in getting to this state was that despite using Astro to backup my apps, I still lost all my call log history, all my stored text messages, all my Quick Profile settings, all my Launcher Pro Icon settings, all my App Organizer settings, all my Swype keyboard settings and User Dictionary definitions, and essentially every other customizable setting leaving me with a virgin phone. All the Astro backup did was basically make a list of my installed apps making it a little easier to re-download and re-install them from the Market.

This actually happened to me TWICE. First when I installed Bugless Beast 1.1 and then AGAIN when I installed the 800 mhz kernel.

I probably did something wrong to put myself into this situation, especially the second time when I installed the 800 kernel. I'm guessing I didn't need to "wipe data and cache" that time? Or is this going to happen every time I try to install a new ROM, new Kernel or new Theme? What can I do to make things easier on myself next time?

to switch kernals you don't need to wipe data. Try titanium backup, it will back your apps up and reinstall them with their data. To keep your messages and call log i use my backup pro.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You want to wipe data and cache anytime you go from one version of android to the next (2.1 to 2.1) or if you switch from one rom to another (bugless beast to cyanogen)

You typically don't have to wipe for Kernals.

2.2 brings the ability to backup app data as well as the apps themselves. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to save this information between roms until Froyo. This is why it's important to make Nandroid backups whenever you change roms. If something goes wrong, you can always go back.

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
So I've been running Bugless Beast 1.1 for a few days now at 800 mhz with no problems. I think I'll just leave well enough alone until the official 2.2 comes along and/or a Bugless Beast based upon it.'

I must say that if there's one feature that's worth the price of admission for rooting, for me it has to be WIRELESS TETHER! I love it! No more getting ripped off by hotels trying to charge 8-15 bucks a day for their Wi-Fi! No more having to pack a tether cable! And no more having to install a Tether app on the notebook PC!