First ROM (CM 6) more harm than benefit?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
This is my first custom ROM (CM 6), and I am running into more problems than any benefits I can see, and I am getting frustrated. I was rooted before, using Launcher Pro and all was going well, but I was afraid that the new OTA update coming would break my root, so I took the plunge and the flashing went fine, but I am not sure it was worth the effort:

First, I can't connect to any open wifi and, until I turned it off, it kept scanning, running my battery down.

Second, my Titanium has stopped working (did OK for a bit after the flash, then went *poof*). It can't find busybox, thinks the phone is not rooted. Going through the "Problems", uninstall, reinstall, etc, and nothing. Downloaded busybox installer and it said it can't install it.

Third, suddenly I can't get the stock messaging app from giving me pop-ups for text messages (I did get it to stop giving notifications in the taskbar by unchecking notifications, but this did not help with the pop-ups, even after a couple of reboots).

Fourth, I have gotten Launcher Pro force closes a few times, causing a redraw even though that problem had been solved before (and I have checked the appropriate box in LP and added the fix code in an terminal emulator).

Fifth, even with the wifi turned off, I am getting half the battery life as I did before with the stock ROM.

On the positive side, I have music controls in my lock screen and I have more space freed up in my internal storage (which is very helpful).

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have any problems with 6.1.2. Did you download and install via ROM manager, or did you manual download and place the file on the SD and use recovery to flash?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I did it with ROM Manager and the flashing went perfect, seemingly. But I have found that the wifi is a known problem for many. I am not sure what is happening with my busybox and TiBU.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Try flashing it again with a wipe.

I did a full wipe the first time, and I am having a problem now because I can't do an app backup. Both Titanium and MyBackUp Root are telling me that I am not rooted and so will not work. I think they are having trouble finding busybox, but the busybox installer says I am rooted but won't install.

Sort of stuck.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
hmm, I see. That is frustrating. I figured a full wipe was just that. And I don't suppose ROM Manager gives me the option do wipe more than once (I didn't see such an option) so that means I will have to do it the longer way when I flash another ROM.

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Your correct ROM Manager doesn't give you that option, and sometimes I don't think it wipes correctly sometimes when I flash ROMs through that program.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you are right. Most of the time it seems to work fine, but I have heard that on occasion it just doesn't do a complete job. I tried it again with a new ROM and it seems to have done fine this time.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Use ROM Manager to reboot into clockwork recovery and manually flash 6.1.2 from there.

Here's the process:

1. Download the 6.1.2 Zip.
2. Place zip on the root of your SD card.
3. Open ROM Manager and Flash ClockworkMod.
4. Reboot into Recovery
5. Use volume key to highlight "wipe data"
6. Use camera button to select
7. Select "wipe cache" and select
8. Select "install zip from sdcard"
9. Highlight "choose zip from sdcard" and select it
10. Highlight the CM 6.1.2 file and press camera button