A Simple Question About Gingerbread ROMs and the Alarm Clock

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
This question may sound a little odd or strange at first, but it's been bothering me for a rather long time now. My Gingerbread journey on the OG Droid started with Pete's Stock Gingerbread ROM. After that, I decided to flash the Project Elite Gingerbread. Both ran fantastic on my phone, and I never even dreamed of switching back to Froyo. Then I read an ominous post somewhere in the Project Elite forums. Apparently, this person uses his Droid as an alarm clock and Gingerbread, being infamous for its tendency to be very aggressive with the app-killing on the Droid, killed off his alarm clock in the middle of the night. Since I'm a full-time student that needs to wake up early else I face the wrath of missing class, I ALWAYS use my Droid as an alarm clock. My question is: Is this notion that the Droid can kill off the alarm clock app in the middle of the night viable? Has it happened to anyone here? Right now, I'm back at Froyo, and I've been itching to go back to Gingerbread ever since I left. I can't do this, however, without full confidence that my alarm will go off in the morning... Thanks!!!

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been using ultimate droid 3.11, which is gingerbread, for a while now and I constantly use my phone as an alarm clock and I haven't had any problems with it yet

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm using UD 3.1.1 on my OG Droid as an alarm clock without a problem. It does seem to be overly aggressive with killing things, but I haven't had a problem with the alarm.

paul_aka_paul

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
My phone is my only alarm, and I have never had a problem with it. I have used Liquid, PE, CM and Pete's gingerbread ROMs.

I am more inclined to believe that this person who posted about his or her alarm problem either shut it off while half asleep and doesn't remember it. The alarm, as far as I know, isn't a stand alone app apart from the clock. We are to believe the system shut down the clock?

Karnaj

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I am running Pete's Gingerbread GPA14 yes Gingerbread is too aggressive for the OG Droid with memory management but in GPA14 Pete fixed that and they only problems he had with the alarm clock just required a redownload and reflash of GPA12.

EDIT: The only memory management issues I have ever dealt with was running music in the background.

Karnaj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair