Im probably one of the most clued out person. but a few questions about "rooting"

samster

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
If i were to root my phone,

do i require it to be connected to my computer?

the way i have done it in the past is just by inserting the sd card into my netbook, but will this be okay?

When i have rooted it, How do i go about changing the things that i wish to change? can i myself do it in the options menu? or do i have to wait for someone else to create a rom that encorpourates this?

Im lost with it!

Thanks for reading :)

digitard#WN

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
#1. No. You can download the SM-Updater from Sholes directly, and it'll download the package, extract, reboot, etc all w/o a sync cable.

#2. If you want to copy the update.zip file for various roms to your SD card root via your netbook or whatever that's fine.

#3. You'll have root access to everything, hypothetically, but it depends on what you load or what knowledge you have if you're trying to change things that generally don't have user options.

starscream84

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm a noob myself when it comes the this kind of stuff but just from picking up bits and pieces as I go, you have to enter lines of code to be able to root. Sholesmod is as app that types all the code for you, so essentially you just run the app and follow the instructions that come up, and its runs by itself, best app out there right now.

WAM

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
just be sure you make a nandroid backup just in case something goes wrong, btw you can search youtube for step by step instructions for this stuff

weirdkid

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Rooting methods vary between phones. I believe Sholesmod is for the droid. As stated by digitard, you can flash without connecting your phone to your netbook.

starscream84

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
just be sure you make a nandroid backup just in case something goes wrong, btw you can search youtube for step by step instructions for this stuff

Yes, yes, yes!!!!! Sholes does a nandroid for you before it flashes, but I completely agree, you MUST do a nandroid, I had a bad battery in my phone and when I flashed, I was caught in a boot loop, I freaked out for like 5 min. Cuz I knew there was no going to Verizon to fix, so I thought I had a 600 dollar paperweight, but after I calmed down, I just held x while in reboot and did a nandroid restore and I was back at the spot right before I flashed, phone was fine, I still don't own a paperweight, nandroid is a must. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz