Low-Brightness App and Minimum Brightness Hack

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm a little confused on this too.

Best as I can tell, the stock program only allows you to set a certain level of lowest possible brightness. Some users find even the lowest setting to be a bit too high - consumes too much battery and is just needlessly bright. Once rooted, one is able to set the minimum brightness to below the stock minimum. I believe it is actually - 9%. This is done by selecting a setting thru Newly created "bright control" icon.

I download a free app called "fast bright" in market. you can select a certain level brightness and with a widget, one touch to get the screen really bright. I find the widget useful in direct sunlight and have it right on the home screen.

But, I digress.... Yes, you're right, the whole thing is confusing 'cause it seems to just randomly switch.

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I believe the stock minimum is 10%. The hack lets you lower it to 2%. This is great for the bedside clock .. because 10% lights my room up!

They are working on a min brightness for Auto-brightness as well ..

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
@ MikeB -- I have automatic brightness turned off. Do you think that's why I get randon bright, dim, bright variations? Or, do you suppose it's because of a buggy app - namely fastbright?

And you mention "they" are working on a min brightness for auto brightness -- who is "they"?

Thanks for the info on what stock minimum low level is. I've seen others post that they are at 10%. I never knew how they knew that. Mine is a slider bar and not in numeric values. Now I know - the lowest possible is 10% - got it.

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
@ MikeB -- I have automatic brightness turned off. Do you think that's why I get randon bright, dim, bright variations? Or, do you suppose it's because of a buggy app - namely fastbright?

After you mentioned it, I downloaded fastbright and turned off auto-brightness AND I am getting the bright / dim fluctuations .. LOL .. I just turned auto-bright back ON. I think it sets the brightness to the level you set in the app after a set amount of time. I had set it to 2% and my screen kept going way dim after a minute or so (even plugged in).

And you mention "they" are working on a min brightness for auto brightness -- who is "they"?

lol .. they the "hackers" aka Pete, Taz @alldroid .. those guys .. I believe Sholes has made these mods also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12