I've rooted and unrooted, the ongoing struggle

PRNmeds

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
So I have rooted my phone I believe 3 times now, and each time, I end up going back to stock. I have mostly been using Bugless Beast, or the new Smoked Glass 5.01 over at alldroid.com. A lot of the users there say it runs flawlessly, or that if you don't use the 2.1 launcher, it's stable, but I have not found that to be the case. I would say I use my phone heavily, it is not uncommon for me to be in the car, with GPS running in the background, listening to music, and then receiving a phone call. The phone reboots itself all the time! I had a lot of problems with the GPS signal being lost, or not able to find my location. I can't attribute all of these problems to being rooted, or modded, except that every time I have returned back to stock, all the problems seem to go away. In short, root and modding does make my phone look way more cool, but I think I am happiest with my phone, when I'm using the stock software, the stability is just that much more important to me. I am going to miss those smoked glass drawers though.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
sorry to hear the issues you have running custom roms if you have so many issues with other roms try the virgin rom with wifi and theme it as you want

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP. I keep going back to stock because everything just works. Bugless Beast has been perverted from its original vision. Bugless Beauty was made with the idea that everything would work, now it's unstable and a mess.

Functioning is more important than looking cooler.

PRNmeds

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I have settled with home ++ and this cheap icon program called better cut that allows you to customize your icons to look however you like, still looks nice but functionality just far outweighs the cool factor of rooting your phone, i do miss the feeling of pushing the limits and pushing your phone as far as it can go, and into miss the wireless tethering the most

R

Roy Aguilera

Koushs rom is flawless. Way better than stock in every possible way.

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
try the new Bugless Beast. He updated it the last couple of days. its now running the "official" 2.1 for the droid and runs pretty well. i havent had ne problems with it. also blackdroid over on droidforums has the same thing but his is themed black. i recommend trying one of those 2 out. they run really well. then dont have the nexus launcher however. i hear there a lot of the issues that ur havin come from that launcher bein installed.

R

Roy Aguilera

Depends what version of launcher 2 you use. The 7 screen one is flawless.

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
OP, are you clearing data and cache when you do these roms? I think the majority of people that have issues, need to clear these things.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
2.1 is out and rooted. ;)

Wait, does this mean that if I unroot and get the 2.1 update (rumored for this friday) that steps exist to re-root?

Because personally I was just going to stay rooted and wait for the benefits to trickle down to the ROM users.

On another note, I am not sure Ultimate Droid adds anything to Cyanogenmod/koush's mod, but as I am running it now it is fast and completely stable.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
Wait, does this mean that if I unroot and get the 2.1 update (rumored for this friday) that steps exist to re-root?

Because personally I was just going to stay rooted and wait for the benefits to trickle down to the ROM users.

On another note, I am not sure Ultimate Droid adds anything to Cyanogenmod/koush's mod, but as I am running it now it is fast and completely stable.

Thats what it means until they finger out how to root 2.1 UNLESS google has fixed the loophole that alows rooting in the first place... hmmmmm Im staying rooted until I know whats up with OTA 2.1.. I will be watching you stock guys closely to see if it can be rooted and or is as great as its being worked up to be..

ridavid81

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the original post. I've try Koushs ROM, Ultimate Droid, and Droid Mod. I ended up back with stock and using the Helix Launcher. That's all I really need is more screens anyhow.

I want to thank all those developers for their hardwork and offering their ROMS for free. They do an excellent job but I can't deal with all the bugs. For some reason none of them can seem to solve the force close issues when closing the slider and returning to portrait. Also when exiting the new gallery it takes a good 30 seconds for the home screen to load again.

And finally none of the custom ROMS take battery life into account. When I had Koushs ROM on I literally went from 100% to 70% in about 20 minutes of use.

Battery life is most important to me and these custom ROMS just don't cut it. Even at stock the droid battery life isn't great but at least now I last more than a day with a fair amount of use.

Running on stock is so much more stable and now that the Helix Launcher is out I have my 7 screens and it runs fast with no FC in 3 days now.

Thanks