What is Busybox?

ethan

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Just rooted, I'm very new to this. I'm about to do a nandroid backup, but I also wanted to use the Titanium backup app, it says to verify that my ROM is rooted (it is) and that it includes Busybox. I did a market search for it but I didn't find anything. What is it and where do I get it?

pspringer#AC

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Busy Box is something that you install on your Droid to give you some additional handy LINUX / UNIX based commands. You need Busy Box installed because some commands are not available to you and you made need them for some root level tasks. Here is some info on what Busy Box is.

BusyBox

Here are some good instructions for installing Busy Box. Sorry to direct you to someplace outside of this site. I am sure you can find other instructions in Android Forums, they all should be basically the same.

Install Busybox | Root Your Droid

Keep in mind that you will also need to have the Android SDK installed on your machine as well so you can run the ADB commands. I hope this helps.

Reactions: lgwhitlock

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Just rooted, I'm very new to this. I'm about to do a nandroid backup, but I also wanted to use the Titanium backup app, it says to verify that my ROM is rooted (it is) and that it includes Busybox. I did a market search for it but I didn't find anything. What is it and where do I get it?

In Titanium Backup if you hit the problems button, it will download and install busybox.:D

spsands

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info, I know it was required to do cp command to try and allow 3rd party apps on my Att Captivate after I rooted.

just wasnt sure what it actually did... LOL,

makes sense.
:p

shaneg1990

May 21, 2012
Visit site
okay i have a htc incredible, never really messed around with the android system at all, very new to all this. now i downloaded and installed clockmodrecovery, i downgraded my phone from 2.3.4 to 2.2, i ran unrevoked, also installed the s-off tool which it is, but root check still says my phone isnt rooted. and busybox wont work, wut is the missing part in my equation? a quik reply would be awesome i been workin on tryin to do this for past 2 days

Destiny Snow

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay i just rooted my phone im veryy veryy new to this. I have busy box n i dont know what app to downlaod to use it or how to use it. and what rooting my phone really did please help

BitCubateApps

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this answer comes a bit late, but here it is. BusyBox is a program that provides all the commands required to make a good embedded linux environment within android. This type of environment is required for rooted apps to work so that they can have access to the system at a lower level which otherwise would not have been possible.

You can find the top three busybox installers here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...gle.com/store/search?q=busybox&token=sPQBGe6x

Also, you can read more about it here: BusyBox and BusyBox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you may ask what rooting is... Android by default is very locked down. This is so that the attack surface area for malware or exploits is less. Rooting is the process by which an external program is inserted into your android system so that it will grant administrator level access to applications that request it. Usually rooting means to have a combination of su or a superuser app and busybox inserted into the system. You can find superuser apps here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e.com/store/search?q=superuser&token=1q08qYyc

Please note that you need to be rooted so that you can install those apps. Read more about android rooting and superuser here: Android rooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Also avoid the usage of rooting in Australia as it is a slang there :)

If you need to get your phone rooted, you will find ways to do so by searching your phone/device model + root as search term in XDA forums, or you can try this method by bin4ry: Root MANY ANDROID! [Upd: 18.06.2013] - Switched to improved method - xda-developers

Please note that your Warranty may be void if you root your device depending on carrier and manufacturer.

Disclaimer, I am the developer of BusyBox X Installer and superuser X. So based on this post, do not be affected/compelled in your decision which apps to install.

Electrikfish

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
okay i have a htc incredible, never really messed around with the android system at all, very new to all this. now i downloaded and installed clockmodrecovery, i downgraded my phone from 2.3.4 to 2.2, i ran unrevoked, also installed the s-off tool which it is, but root check still says my phone isnt rooted. and busybox wont work, wut is the missing part in my equation? a quik reply would be awesome i been workin on tryin to do this for past 2 days

it took me a lot of time to understand how to root my android too. First install adb kite and fastboot on your pc. This will allowd you to give commands to your phone via the command window on the pc. Then you need to download twrp. Take the good version for your phone. Keep it on the pc. I dont remeber exaclty how i did it but you need to flash twrp on your phone while hes on the bootloader. The commands are simple you can find them on internet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown