How to root an Android device.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, everything I've looked at has just been a matter of 'take this file and install it on your sdcard and then flash it and you're rooted.' That's fine. But where does that file come from? Someone makes it, right; they have to...

So... how do you root? Is it a matter of recompiling the Android source with a few changes? Is it something that needs done with the existing ROM that modifies it?

I've got the 2.1 update-1 on my Droid and I wanted to be able to OC again. How can I accomplish that? Or do I have to wait until some mysterious someone somewhere comes up with a new update.zip for me to d/l and use?

**edit - Just realized I posted this in the wrong browser tab. Mods please move to Hacks/Mods sub. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
You will most likely have to wait, unless you are willing to use the .sbf file to downgrade to 2.0.1 and then flash back to the rooted version of 2.1

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. That will help me get where I want to end up at (once I figure out how to do this sbf thing you're talking about).

But what about the first part of my post; anyone?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Some one takes the OS finds the exploit and adds the files in like for 2.01 they simply added the root files into the last part is the update.zip the stock recovery only checked the beginning for the Sig. As far as the files its just binaries that are added and an app or two

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Some one takes the OS finds the exploit and adds the files in like for 2.01 they simply added the root files into the last part is the update.zip the stock recovery only checked the beginning for the Sig. As far as the files its just binaries that are added and an app or two

So is it just patch files, then, that expose the root access, or is there actual alteration of the compiled source?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So is it just patch files, then, that expose the root access, or is there actual alteration of the compiled source?

Depends on the phone. On the Droid, the bootloader was left unlocked (on accident or on purpose, Moto isn't telling ) and it was a matter of building the binaries against the running OS just as thebizz describes.

On some phones, an actual exploit was ran against the running Linux kernel.

On other phones, the bootloader had to be hacked.

And in a few cases, someone got ahold of the signing keys from the manufacturer, or an engineering ROM that was rooted from the carrier.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
@gbhil, @thebizz

Alright, while I don't quite understand it yet (yet... I'm working on it) I think I have a handle on how it all works. Thanks guys!

Now to work up the nerve to load the sbf. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane