Major issue with Smoked Glass??

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
When I rooted my Droid, I found this ROM and fell in love with it. Had it on my phone for about a month. All of a sudden one day my phone would randomly restart itself and the time between them increased throughout the day until it went into an endless boot loop. Then it stopped turning on all together. My phone was dead. I called up VZW and made an insurance claim and got a new phone.

I've had my new Droid for probably just under 2 months. And it just happened to me again..

WTH could that be from? I don't know if it was the ROM or if I'm just unlucky enough to have gotten 2 phones that both died the same way. I'm going to the Verizon store tomorrow to get a new phone.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Try using the Ultimate Droid rom which has the smoked glass theme and then maybe your luck will turn for the better. I have had boot loops from themes that didn't play well with a rom but have never killed my phone.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
OK after not turning on for the last several hours it suddenly just rebooted itself.. into an endless loop.

Is there a way to fix this?

UPDATE: OK so the looping has stopped. It won't boot up though. I attempted to boot into recovery and the first time it seemed to work but as soon as I let go of the camera/Up buttons it shut off. Now I can't get it to boot into recovery either..

Last edited:

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Try using the Ultimate Droid rom which has the smoked glass theme and then maybe your luck will turn for the better. I have had boot loops from themes that didn't play well with a rom but have never killed my phone.

I'm almost scared to keep root access! LOL!

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
dude ive had root for so long the cure is sbf or wipe data factory reset try the latter first should cure your boot loop

tateg

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I had the same issue with the new OTA ESE81 with only root. The only applications installed that needed root access were the LEDs hack and the brightness hack. An SBF back to 2.0.1 fixed my problem. I've read that the LEDs hack can really screw up some droid ROMS. Even the developer puts a warning on his market site. Were you using this application?

I'm running Simply Stunning now with no problems.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
No I wasn't running the LED hack. So sbf should fix this? I have enver played with that before. I guess it's time to learn. Gonna be a late night.

UPDATE: I cannot use the sbf method because I cannot get a Mac compatible version of RSD Lite. Being that I was rooted, is it a bad idea to go to a VZW store and get a replacement?

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Boot.camp that should allow you to run a virtual Windows on your comp and use the sbf if that doesn't work find someone with a pc that will let you use it

Last edited:

ikith

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Same issue happened to me while running smoked glass but I had dropped my phone at a friends house before this started. Are you experiencing a lot of heat near the camera area as well? If so same symptoms as me. I just called verizon and they sent me a new one no insurance claim no 50 dollars no nothing just a new phone after 2 days.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
No heat problems really. I'm going to go into the verizon store today and get a replacement. I'm going to be installing windows 7 onto my Mac soon, but not soon enough to fix this issue.

I'm not going to be installing smoked glass again.

UPDATE: OK so I went to the Verizon store and they somehow got the phone to turn on. It went into an endless loop again, but they somehow turned the thing on. I get home, and now I can't get it to turn on. I don't what is wrong with it, but I really need to get this fixed.

I did however just get it to load the bootloader screen. It says battery low after I've had it on the charger all night..

Last edited:

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
OK somehow I managed to get into recovery and fix this problem. Now I just think I'm going to stick to stock for a while..

Thanks for the help.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah both times that this happened to me, it was while running that ROM. The first time though, I had to make an insurance claim and get a new phone. Somehow I fixed this one. I'll read up on Cyanogen and see if I can get back up on the horse..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692