Disable OTA Update with DroidMod?

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I'm running the DroidMod 1.0 (from the DM updater in the market) and I keep getting asked to update on my device. I keep pushing it back (by saying 'later') but I don't know if this will work forever.

I tried updating and it actually put the phone into some kind of error mode (an exaclamation point with a little green android).

Any suggestions?

Should I just unroot, update, and try and re-root after?

ikith

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Open adb shell and do:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.bak
rm /cache/signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6
mount -o remount,r -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

Then you should be good.

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
You're probably right, but not really helpful.

But rooting is so simple, as is flashing a rom, especially with the apps available that do it for you.

I just unrooted and updated to 2.1. Now I have to figure out a way to root again with 2.1.

ikith

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
You're probably right, but not really helpful.

But rooting is so simple, as is flashing a rom, especially with the apps available that do it for you.

I just unrooted and updated to 2.1. Now I have to figure out a way to root again with 2.1.

Rooting is simple with automated apps yes but you learn nothing about the droid or how to do things by hand through adb shell! Even today when I reflash my phone and re root it I do it by hand because I don't know what the automated app is doing and where its putting things.

If you want adb you need to go get the android sdk then grab everything it asks to install then close it and re open it and grab everything (updates) again the close it yet again and re open it for the last time to make sure you have everything.

After that open cmd (command prompt) and find your android sdk folder then enter the tools directory and type adb shell

Then follow my previous guide.

Good luck.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Another easy way, if you have Root Explorer or another file manager than can read/write on system files, go to system/etc/security/ and rename otacerts.zip to otacertsbak.zip

This basically does what the adb command above/below does.

You can also just use a terminal emulator.
Just search terminal in the Market and download one (doesn't have to be fancy)

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.bak
rm /cache/signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6
mount -o remount,r -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperChargedJ
R

Roy Aguilera

Not to be rude but if you don't know what adb or adb shell is you should not be rooting or modding your droid.

Bad advice.
You can do anything with terminal and root explorer that you can with adb.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I thought I would post some clarification about the 2.1 OTA update, since there is a shockingly large amount of misinformation being spread throughout the community. If you are running DroidMod, you should accept the 2.1 update. The phone will reboot in to recovery, and SPRecovery will block the update outright. Even if you are not running SPRecovery, there’s really nothing to worry about, because the pre-install checks internal to the update will fail, and the update will not be applied anyways.

Many people have been renaming otacerts.zip to stop the notification from appearing, so I’d like to address that. Renaming otacerts.zip will indeed stop the notifications from being presented to you, but it does so by breaking the updater mechanism in a way that makes it think that the update file is corrupt. This will cause it to re-download the update file indefinitely, which will severely impact your battery life. This is why we didn’t remove the file from the ROM entirely.

So, to put it simply, if you are running any non-stock ROM at all, you can safely “accept” the 2.1 update to stop the notifications; the update will not be able to patch the modified system files, and will not make any changes to your phone.

Source would be Camel from Droidmod posted at Droidmod.org

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton