Root my droid (2.1) with macbook.

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, I am looking to root my droid, make a nandroid backup, and install a custom rom and overclock on my droid. I am running 2.1 on it right now. I understand that I have to flash the SPRecovery. I guess i'm just looking for a step by step guide on how to do it all on my mac. If anyone can help me out a bit that'd be great. It seems like everybody is using a windows computer.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
yeah i dont think there is a step by step guide for mac yet. you can't get to a pc at all? because if you can the process honestly takes about 5 minutes

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I suppose I could use my girlfriends laptop. On a 1-10 scale, how hard is it to do without losing all of the stuff on my phone already or bricking my phone.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
it's actually very easy. you dont have to loose all your apps all you have to do is install astro you can get it in the market for free. back up all your apps then once you install the new rom download astro again but this time restore the apps. but if your on 2.1 ota these 2 videos will make it very very easy for you Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog thats for flashing sprecovery onto stock 2.1 then this video is for flashing a custom rom with sprecovery which will give you root access Video: Installing a Custom ROM Using SPRecovery | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog to be completely honest with you i highly doubt you will mess up your phone as long as you do what the videos show you to do. it's soooo easy and takes not even 10 minutes. i would say on a 1-10 scale it's about a 3 but let me know if you have any questions while in the process i'll be more then happy to help you out

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
just watch both videos first and make sure you feel totally comfortable with them. it's really not hard to do what so ever but def let me know how you make it

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I have flashed SPRecovery onto the droid, i don't get how to backup all my apps with astro, I have astro installed but there is no option to back up my apps. Sorry, I must be asking dumb questions lol. I guess what I am nervous about is wiping my device and I'm scared it will wipe everything off the phone and sd card.

mbianchi18

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
how do i root my droid on my mac?

Hey guys, this is the first time I've posted on here so bare with me :) I was reading a couple other posts about rooting my 2.1 droid from my mac and someone said there was no step by step instruction on how to do it. Would anyone know how to? All I would like to do is tether my droid to my mac for wifi internet ... I've watched a lot of video's but they're all windows based compters.. Thanks for your help!!

Jeff_T#AC

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a mac and was looking to unroot my droid and reroot it (got it already rooted and wanted to do the whole process myself) but pretty much found out unless you're running bootcamp or something similar and windows on your mac, you need a PC. Kinda sucks, but seems to be the case... at least for now.

kprz24

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have flashed SPRecovery onto the droid, i don't get how to backup all my apps with astro, I have astro installed but there is no option to back up my apps. Sorry, I must be asking dumb questions lol. I guess what I am nervous about is wiping my device and I'm scared it will wipe everything off the phone and sd card.
press menu

hotelmode

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got done rooting my Aria using Unrevoked, and I'm digging it so far. Not many options for custom ROMs, but it's still fun. They have an option for Mac, but no option for Droid.

Now I want to root my Droid. I'm glad I found this thread, because I was getting tired of seeing windows in every single "how to" thread. Now I know to stop looking!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781