Moto X Play with beefed up specs=US Verizon Droid Turbo Successor?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
As others have mentioned, I agree that the Moto X Play will be the basis for a Verizon exclusive Droid Turbo successor. I think that the Droid will have a Quad HD screen though and a beefed up processor (808 or 810) to "justify" a higher price. Since I probably will get it through Edge anyway that doesn't bother me.

I'm encouraged by the camera from what I've heard although I didn't read in any of those reports (maybe just missed it) its performance dealing with motion shots and shutter speed. It sounds like it still struggles with low light shots, as cell phone cameras generally do.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that will be a very high bar to achieve, but we'll see. If one doesn't value the other aspects more highly (near pure Android, Moto software that is useful) etc. then going on a straight camera to camera comparison we'll just have to see. Since I value those other elements above camera alone it will likely be the right package of features for me to replace my Droid Maxx.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd take it with the current specs.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it is going to be the new droid. A few things though, it would drop the screen resolution back to 1080, which i am more than fine with. The battery would be a little smaller, which i dont like. And 2 gig of ram instead of three.

If the phones are supposed to get better every year, even if just on paper, this may be more of a lateral move.

One interesting note, i just watched a video of the play showing the back plate can be removed and swapped.. i like that idea.

Posted via the Android Central App

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The latest rumor from evleaks is that there will be a Droid Maxx 2 and a Droid Turbo 2. I'd guess that the Maxx 2 will be pretty much an exact copy of the Moto X Play. As for the Turbo who knows. Maybe a Moto X Play with the internals from the Style?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd take it with the current specs.

Agree, with stock android, the specs are already top notch. Anything more is "over kill" but I could see why some want to have the latest and greatest and super bleeding edge.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The latest rumor from evleaks is that there will be a Droid Maxx 2 and a Droid Turbo 2. I'd guess that the Maxx 2 will be pretty much an exact copy of the Moto X Play. As for the Turbo who knows. Maybe a Moto X Play with the internals from the Style?

Kind of strange they would make 2 devices. Why not just have a turbo successor? Doesn't really make sense to have 2 devices with pretty much the same everything. Turbo had huge battery, just improve upon that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If they went with multiple devices, they should do a "mini" and a "maxx".

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone estimate it's overall performance (the 615 8 core?) with the Turbo 810? If it's even close I may get it just for it's marginally larger screen. Assuming it has the touchless control/Always listening feature.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone estimate it's overall performance (the 615 8 core?) with the Turbo 810? If it's even close I may get it just for it's marginally larger screen. Assuming it has the touchless control/Always listening feature.

DROID TURBO has a 805.