Post your thoughts after the turbo 2 /maxx 2 reveal today!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm about 90% sure I'm going to get a Turbo2. I currently have a Droid Maxx, and have been mostly happy with it, but even with the 32gb version I'm running out of space occasionally, and recently had to factory reset it due to lag. I'd been hoping the new mainstream Motos would've fit my wants, but was disappointed by the lack of fingerprint scanner and Qi charging. Then I'd gotten hopeful for the new Nexus phones, but was disappointed by the lack of Qi charging, and while I liked the specs overall of the 6P, I'm not sold on the Huawai brand yet. Also, we recently switched our plan to Verizons no-contract plan, and any phone I can get through Verizon & spread the cost over 24 months is a plus, which is a strike against the Nexus phones.

The Turbo2 seems to have absolutely everything I want except a fingerprint scanner. I'm still disappointed not to have it, and part of me is considering living with my Maxx for another year to hold out for something that really does check off all the boxes on my wish list, but I dunno. I'm very tempted.

I'm having trouble finding one bit of info - I'm assuming this is still a microUSB connector/charger? Not USB3 Type C? I have mixed feelings either way - Type C is clearly the future of connectors, but there's certainly a convenience factor of already having so many microUSB cables around. Neither will get plugged in that often though, since I have a Qi charger at work and home.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I understand the desire for screen durability, it just seems that more water resistance (IPX7) is something Moto could have done as well, particularly since they already put that tech in a much cheaper phone.

There's a chance that the design features that lend the phone to having a more durable screen work against water-tightness. It sounds like a lot of what helps make the screen "shatterproof" is flexibility. Flexibility and water-tightness often don't work well together, at least not where hard surfaces/parts are involved. They still mention it being water resistant, so I wouldn't be too concerned about a little rain or small splashes. Just not something you want to accidentally drop in the tub...

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
2. They probably still weren't able to get the fingerprint sensors they wanted for it. I expect to see them on the 2016 Motorolas though.

They can use the same provider that the Nexus phones use I'm sure, unless they want something that works through a Motorola "M" logo and the curve if a dimple.
It's within/before 2 years, not after 2 years.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm having trouble finding one bit of info - I'm assuming this is still a microUSB connector/charger? Not USB3 Type C? I have mixed feelings either way - Type C is clearly the future of connectors, but there's certainly a convenience factor of already having so many microUSB cables around. Neither will get plugged in that often though, since I have a Qi charger at work and home.

Micro USB for the DROID TURBO 2.

I don't think there are any USB3 Type-C phones released yet (OnePlus 2, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P are all USB2).

Posted via the Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Micro USB for the DROID TURBO 2.

I don't think there are any USB3 Type-C phones released yet (OnePlus 2, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P are all USB2).

The new Nexus phones are both Type C.

Nexus-6p-AH-11-1600x1067.jpg

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
But they're USB2, not USB3.

I learn something every day - I was under the impression that Type C was USB3 only, though I knew it would interface with a 2.0 port for certain functions. I didn't know they could do a usb2 Type C port. Not sure if that's good or bad...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Another thought - goodbye capacitive buttons! I'm ok with that - when my Maxx got laggy, one of the issues I had was unresponsive capacitive buttons. On-screen buttons gets it closer to vanilla Android, which I prefer. As long as I can disable or remove some of Verizon's silly bloatware (the games, mainly), I'll be happy with the OS situation. Hopefully they don't tease on updates as badly as they have with the Maxx and some others.

griffmac12

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I was planning to replace my Turbo with this but really disappointed in the design choices. "Shatterproof" is not worth a 5.4 screen in a phone that's bigger than a 5.7 devices.

I will just keep my Turbo for now or get a Moto X Pure or N6P and begrudgingly give up wireless charging.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I read the screen quality is disappointing. That's not worth the durability of the screen.

Agreed, I read this too and it turned me away. I'll check it out this week if my sister decides to go in because I always go with to ensure Verizon doesn't change things. I was considering the Turbo 2 but a downgrade on the display just isn't worth it.

I'll keep my Turbo unless I get a Nexus 6p

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I read the screen quality is disappointing. That's not worth the durability of the screen.
I'm concerned too. I will go to a store on Thursday, and hopefully will be able to see with my own eyes (I'm sure they'll have some display models ready to go since it's a major launch.)

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Ya know, I was really excited for this phone. I really was. I thought this would be the replacement to my Droid Maxx. There's just too much about it that doesn't seem right. Yes the phone is ugly. Yes it is big. Yes the screen sucks. The specs really are the same as last year's Turbo; even worse on the battery actually. So I got scared. I decided why don't I just get the last year's version for half the price!? I just bought a new turbo in blue ballistic nylon on swappa for $320. Can't beat that. Ill keep that until the right phone comes along. So far in 2015, none are checking the right boxes for me...

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The shatter proof screen is definitely not worth those 2ft bezels around the edges. I keep hoping that they will come out with razor thin bezels like the LG's, but no such luck. At least it looks like this one will have some options so the back doesn't have to be as slippery as on the Turbo.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The shatter proof screen is definitely not worth those 2ft bezels around the edges. I keep hoping that they will come out with razor thin bezels like the LG's, but no such luck. At least it looks like this one will have some options so the back doesn't have to be as slippery as on the Turbo.

When i bought the turbo on release day last year, i went with the ballistic nylon because i figured it would be more grippy. The next day i went back and got a case because the nylon was soooo slippery!

Im sure i will get this phone on friday, and i would love to use it w out a case, but that black rubber back is going to have to be grippy lol.

I don't think its an ugly phone, reality is phones are slabs, and there is only so much you can do before it reminds you of a different phone. I dont mind the bezels since it has purpose.. the edge to edge glass makes the phone more fragile, and i for one want a tough flagship... im willing to give up how pretty people think it is as long as i can use how i want.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think its an ugly phone, reality is phones are slabs, and there is only so much you can do before it reminds you of a different phone. I dont mind the bezels since it has purpose.. the edge to edge glass makes the phone more fragile, and i for one want a tough flagship... im willing to give up how pretty people think it is as long as i can use how i want.

Well put! For me, I will, give the phone a chance before I order the MXPE. But it will come down to the screen quality and feel in hand of that 3.07in width rather than how the bezels look.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is possible that there was an error, but when I put my phone (32gb Moto X 2014 with wood back) into the Verizon online trade in calculator, it came out to $30. I wouldn't bank on getting a significant trade in.

That has to be an error. I just got $100 on a trade in for a 2011 Droid 3. They do test it when you send it in, but I still got the $100.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon