Why does the DROID TURBO 2 have a smaller battery than the DROID TURBO?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
why did they make the battery smaller on the turbo 2?

it went from 3900MAH with the turbo to 3760MAH with the new turbo 2.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

The Turbo 2 has an awesome quick charge. 15 minutes in the wall yields a 12 hour charge. The battery should lighten the phone a bit and it's likely Motorola installed power saving options. The talk time seems equal to the Turbo 1.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Turbo 2 has an awesome quick charge. 15 minutes in the wall yields a 12 hour charge. The battery should lighten the phone a bit and it's likely Motorola installed power saving options. The talk time seems equal to the Turbo 1.

Up to 13 hours per the announcement.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

because they want to hit a certain size, weight, and price point.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It's also still a huge battery, and they're still claiming 48 hour usage. I don't see it as anything to worry about at all, real-world performance is more important than minor spec differences.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Ive wondered if the 810 was more efficient, and im guessing the original bugs w the 810 have been fixed.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps a more efficient processor, but more bigger screen, although same pixel count. I'm not sure how all of those balance with each other. They claimed 48h with the Turbo and no way I'd ever make it that long with normal use.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps a more efficient processor, but more bigger screen, although same pixel count. I'm not sure how all of those balance with each other. They claimed 48h with the Turbo and no way I'd ever make it that long with normal use.

The only time i got 48hrs was when i was simply too busy to play on my phone, it did however get me through an 18 sometimes 20 hour day without having to worry and that is what mattered to me.

As long as its the same as the turbo i will be happy.

In comparison, my note 5 gives me the same if not a little better batt life than my note4 did, and the diff in battery was 220mah. The processor made a big difference, so hopefully the 810 is more efficient than the 805.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The only time i got 48hrs was when i was simply too busy to play on my phone, it did however get me through an 18 sometimes 20 hour day without having to worry and that is what mattered to me.

Same with me and my Maxx - their 48 hours is for "average" (probably more realistically called "somewhat light") use, but being able to not think about whether my battery can get through a day of pretty heavy use is hugely valuable. Some people don't understand the value of almost never having to think about the battery anymore. It's wonderful.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Because they're banking on the battery saving features of Doze in Marshmallow.
That's also my guess as to why the Nexus 5x is dimensionally the same as the G2 yet has a smaller battery (by 300 mah).

Raring

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
"They claimed 48h with the Turbo and no way I'd ever make it that long with normal use."

Technically, I think they claimed "up to" 48h. The Droid 2 seems to be a true 48h claim. We'll see how that holds up in practice. Also, we don't know how they substantiated that claim. I haven't seen any explanation or disclaimers but their is obviously a cap on how much talk time and screen time in that 48h claim.

Is the 810 more efficient? I've heard it gets hot which suggests it is inefficient.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
"They claimed 48h with the Turbo and no way I'd ever make it that long with normal use."

Technically, I think they claimed "up to" 48h. The Droid 2 seems to be a true 48h claim. We'll see how that holds up in practice. Also, we don't know how they substantiated that claim. I haven't seen any explanation or disclaimers but their is obviously a cap on how much talk time and screen time in that 48h claim.

Is the 810 more efficient? I've heard it gets hot which suggests it is inefficient.

Straight from the Droid Turbo (1) product page: "Mixed-usage up to 48 hours". It's always been "up to", same for the Maxx, etc. If you sit & play games on it constantly, it's not going to make it that long. If you've got apps that run a bunch of stuff in the background constantly, you're not going to get that much. If you are in an area with lousy cell coverage, you may not get that much.

This is from the fine print on the Turbo 2's product page:

"5 All battery life claims are approximate and based on a standard mixed use profile. The mixed use profile is based on Motorola devices on major 4G LTE networks with excellent coverage and includes both usage and standby time. Out-of-box settings are applied to the mixed use profile to project battery performance. Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings, and voice, data, and other application usage patterns."

Be glad it's not a claim that's under ideal conditions, but at least it's from some kind of average conditions testing. I use my Maxx harder than average, so I don't get upset that it doesn't last 48 hours. I've just been very happy that it has no problem getting through a long day of heavy use. On the Turbo2 vs Turbo1, we're talking about about a 3% smaller battery. I think it's pretty silly to get all concerned about that tiny of a difference, as if it's going to result in a noticeable difference in real world use, especially when paired with different (more efficient) components and software.

Elliot Neuman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm the only other one to be on the same page as the original poster. The issue isn't whether or not a 3% drop in capacity makes a noticeable difference... it's the fact that it dropped. Period. And didn't increase. If Motorola had left the phone exactly the same except for an upgrade to 4200 - 4500 mAh, I would head over the Verizon and pay whatever to upgrade right now. Maybe I'm the only one that uses Chromecast on a regular basis... but at the end of a long day, it pisses me off when I'm casting Game of Thrones and I can't mess around on my phone without being tethered to an outlet. Another thing that makes 0 sense to me is why anyone would give a $#!% about battery life after 24 hours. They need to start doing battery tests that show how many different things they can run and still comfortably make it 18 hours, b/c the one time I certainly don't care about plugging-in is the 6 hours I'm in bed.
Bottom line: a pentacta-core can't run any faster than single core when it's got no juice left

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey