Does anyone else think that it's totally unacceptable in 2015 for the camera not to have OIS?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else think that it's totally unacceptable in 2015 for the camera not to have OIS?
(on a phone in the $600 to $700 price range)

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I can see your point, however with companies right now trying to do things differently than the competition, i can see why they are trying different ways to produce good results.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Image stabilization probably means digital image stabilization, which isn't the same as OIS.

OIS is probably more important for video than for still, though I guess it would be good for low light shots.

I guess I'd prefer it if they did OIS but I wouldn't call that a deal breaker for me. Putting in OIS probably means they have to compromise somewhere else, either for cost or space or battery size, etc. Let's guess that Moto and Verizon did market research and found that OIS was less critical to buyers than other choices.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Image stabilization probably means digital image stabilization, which isn't the same as OIS.

OIS is probably more important for video than for still, though I guess it would be good for low light shots.

I guess I'd prefer it if they did OIS but I wouldn't call that a deal breaker for me. Putting in OIS probably means they have to compromise somewhere else, either for cost or space or battery size, etc. Let's guess that Moto and Verizon did market research and found that OIS was less critical to buyers than other choices.

true... I do admire Moto and Verizon for having MicroSD card slot in the Trubo 2.

The shatter-proof screen is also cool.... well... there are already several YouTube
videos showing that it can be scratched and shattered.(!)

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I completely agree. This is one feature I was really hoping would be included this year. I often have to take photos a second time on my Turbo 1, especially at night or when trying to take a quick photo. Really disappointed considering other phones include this now.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
(on a phone in the $600 to $700 price range)

Yep, inexcusable. The sad part is, it's probably built into the hardware, but Moto declines to activate it. My Razr Maxx HD had OIS but it had to be accessed via third party camera software.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Putting in OIS probably means they have to compromise somewhere else, either for cost or space or battery size, etc. Let's guess that Moto and Verizon did market research and found that OIS was less critical to buyers than other choices.

It's likely that OIS is part of the camera package, but Moto is not activating it. This was the case with my Razr Maxx HD.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's likely that OIS is part of the camera package, but Moto is not activating it. This was the case with my Razr Maxx HD.

That's be interesting, but I can't believe they have a gyroscope and small lens motors and are not using them. I feel pretty strongly that Sony (or whoever) likely has kits that are generic, non-OIS. But, if you find out that Moto has done that with this phone, that'd be interesting to know.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone ever seen any reviews of smartphone OIS systems that detailed how well they perform? For instance, could they turn it on and off to test it?

I'm wondering if their performance is comparable to OIS on say, a Canon P&S camera.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone ever seen any reviews of smartphone OIS systems that detailed how well they perform? For instance, could they turn it on and off to test it?

I'm wondering if their performance is comparable to OIS on say, a Canon P&S camera.

I have a cheap Canon 8mp P&S camera that was $110 new back in 2008. It still takes better pictures than my current Note 5.

Smartphones are still limited by the size of sensor, size of lens and lack of zoom.. none of which can ever be solved. However, most people these days don't care much about picture quality.... they only need it to be good enough to upload to instagram and facebook. :)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
That's be interesting, but I can't believe they have a gyroscope and small lens motors and are not using them. I feel pretty strongly that Sony (or whoever) likely has kits that are generic, non-OIS. But, if you find out that Moto has done that with this phone, that'd be interesting to know.
Using a third party camera app on my Razr Maxx HD there was a function within the app that would allow you to download a text file showing all the hardware and software capabilities of the phone's camera and their on/off status. That's how I found out about the installed OIS that Moto was not using.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Especially when they build big and thick phones and leave that component out.
To make it simple - " no replacement for displacement "

via AC App on
VZW Moto X DE/N7

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
The new camera is great for me, and probably adequate for aficionados. I have it in hand. No shutter lag. Not sure OIS is necessary. I'll be interested to take some motion pictures and see how the turn out. This camera is much better than the last Turbo.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the OE 64GB Ballistic Nylon Turbo and I have the LG G4. Both phones in their own respect are great devices.

I have a slight tremor in my hands from cancer in 2002 and I need OIS. The G4, for stills, is my goto phone. I'll use video on the Turbo 1.

Posted via the Android Central App

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The new camera is great for me, and probably adequate for aficionados. I have it in hand. No shutter lag. Not sure OIS is necessary. I'll be interested to take some motion pictures and see how the turn out. This camera is much better than the last Turbo.

I was in the store today and looked over the T2. I gave the camera the "hand test", that is, hold your hand about a foot away from the camera, press the screen to take a picture and remove your hand. With my T1 I got mixed results--either the hand was blurry and almost out of the picture frame or there was no hand in the picture. I tried it three times with the T2--two pictures were stock still photos of my hand, the other one was a blurry hand just off center of the frame. So I'd say the T2 camera is faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy