Awaiting feedback on VZW "up to $300 deal"

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Awaiting to hear from anyone that has cashed in on the verizon deal mentioned in the announcement. They say "up-to-$300", even with cracked screen. Just want to hear from real life, what they are doing. I hate to be disappointed when I walk in the store.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting to hear this too. If they'll give me $300 regardless and I can trade in a droid ultra or moto x 2014 with a small crack I will take it and buy the Turbo 2 outright. If not, I will probably just buy the Moto X pure instead.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the caveats are pretty clear:

Smartphone trade-in must be in good, working condition. Excludes upgrades.

How to claim this offer.

New Verizon customers as well as existing customers who want to add a new smartphone line can get $300 for their old phone.
1) Add a new smartphone with monthly device payments to your cart.
2)Complete your trade-in appraisal during checkout.
When prompted, click “trade in old device.” You will be taken to the device recycling page to appraise your old smartphone.
3) Send us your trade-in in good, working condition.
You’ll receive a box to return it within 5 days. New Verizon customers will receive a VZW electronic gift card within 2 weeks and existing Verizon customers will receive an account credit in 1-2 billing cycles.

So the 2 MAIN caveats appear to be: 1) NEW CUSTOMER (and buying new phone) OR 2) ADDING a line to an existing plan (and buying a new phone).

I don't think it matters if you're trading in an original Droid versus a newer phone as long as it's in 'good' working order. That term 'good' will probably need to be clarified better by the CSR or Sales person.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the caveats are pretty clear:

Smartphone trade-in must be in good, working condition. Excludes upgrades.

How to claim this offer.

New Verizon customers as well as existing customers who want to add a new smartphone line can get $300 for their old phone.
1) Add a new smartphone with monthly device payments to your cart.
2)Complete your trade-in appraisal during checkout.
When prompted, click “trade in old device.” You will be taken to the device recycling page to appraise your old smartphone.
3) Send us your trade-in in good, working condition.
You’ll receive a box to return it within 5 days. New Verizon customers will receive a VZW electronic gift card within 2 weeks and existing Verizon customers will receive an account credit in 1-2 billing cycles.

So the 2 MAIN caveats appear to be: 1) NEW CUSTOMER (and buying new phone) 2) ADDING a line to an existing plan (and buying a new phone).

I don't think it matters if you're trading in an original Droid versus a newer phone as long as it's in 'good' working order. That term 'good' will probably need to be clarified better by the CSR or Sales person.

I don't think that is the same promotion. After my post I received an email from VZW that states:

"trade-in offer requires Droid Turbo 2 or Droid Maxx 2 purchase with device payment activation. Trade-in smartphone must power on and must be able to identify the device ID. while supplies Last. Limited time offer."

But it still doesnt quantify the up-to $300.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
They had the same deal on the iPhone 6s/6sPlus and I traded in a four year old Droid 3 for $100. The volume up button didn't work - still got the promised $100. I actually wasn't going to bother, because I figured they'd give me nothing for it, and ended up doing the web site after about a week, just to see what would happen and was surprised it was that much.

You can get an appraisal if you add the device to the cart and go through checkout, but before you actually checkout. In fact, I just did it (I'm going to cancel - I'm not planning to buy a Turbo 2), using my old Droid Maxx. I selected "with cracked screen" (even though mine is uncracked) and the appraisal is still $300.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
They had the same deal on the iPhone 6s/6sPlus and I traded in a four year old Droid 3 for $100. The volume up button didn't work - still got the promised $100. I actually wasn't going to bother, because I figured they'd give me nothing for it, and ended up doing the web site after about a week, just to see what would happen and was surprised it was that much.

You can get an appraisal if you add the device to the cart and go through checkout, but before you actually checkout. In fact, I just did it (I'm going to cancel - I'm not planning to buy a Turbo 2), using my old Droid Maxx. I selected "with cracked screen" (even though mine is uncracked) and the appraisal is still $300.

Doogald is correct: If you have turbo 2 checked into the cart, then the device trade-in value will appraise as $300. You need to have a phone in your cart to get the $300. You'll see this appraisal during the checkout process. You can verify this (as there are several 'NEXT' steps) prior to actually purchasing.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Doogald is correct: If you have turbo 2 checked into the cart, then the device trade-in value will appraise as $300. You need to have a phone in your cart to get the $300. You'll see this appraisal during the checkout process. You can verify this (as there are several 'NEXT' steps) prior to actually purchasing.

can you do this via the moto maker site? or only on the VZW site?

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
can you do this via the moto maker site? or only on the VZW site?

Initiate your purchase from the VZW site... during the checkout process a sub-Motomaker site appears allowing you design choices to modify the phone. When you're done it will continue the checkout process.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't go all the way through but it looks like they may actually give you the $300. That would certainly help a lot. If I didn't already have a Pure (got it 10% from Amazon) it would be a tough choice now. If I knew Verizon would actually update the Turbo 2 in a quick and reasonable manner I'd have to consider it seriously. The refresh is a definite benefit. I wouldn't pay for an extended warranty/damage protection if I had a Turbo 2.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Can you buy the phone off-contract and still get the $300?

All phone are off contract now. You mean without a payment plan? I'm not sure but when you buy on a payment plan you can make a one-time initial payment. I'm not sure what the limit is, but you could just pay a large amount.

However, the payment plan is just the full price divided by 24. There is no extra fee or interest, so it's sort of brain-dead to buy outright without a trade in if you can just space out the initial payment to as far as 24 months from now and get the $300 (unless somehow we have currency deflation rather than inflation - then it'd be better to buy upfront.)

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
i followed the instructions and was offered $38 for my LG G2 and $124 for my Galaxy S5. Unless they give me a better deal in store, then I will probably skip the trade in and just pay full price

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
All phone are off contract now. You mean without a payment plan? I'm not sure but when you buy on a payment plan you can make a one-time initial payment. I'm not sure what the limit is, but you could just pay a large amount.

However, the payment plan is just the full price divided by 24. There is no extra fee or interest, so it's sort of brain-dead to buy outright without a trade in if you can just space out the initial payment to as far as 24 months from now and get the $300 (unless somehow we have currency deflation rather than inflation - then it'd be better to buy upfront.)

Yeah, I meant without the payment plan. My buddy works for Moto and I am on his cell plan and he won't let me get anything unless it's off-contract. You would think he could toss me a phone.....nope haha

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to a Verizon store today. I'm hoping for the 300 deal. I'm going to a payment plan and trading in my original turbo. Don't know if it works that way?

Posted via the Android Central App

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Verizon, they said I am entitled to the $300 trade-in, I'm a current customer not on contract with unlimited data but will be changing to a 6 or 12 gb plan. I'll see if I get the same okay when I go into a store

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to a Verizon store today. I'm hoping for the 300 deal. I'm going to a payment plan and trading in my original turbo. Don't know if it works that way?

If you have another working Android phone, I'd try to trade that one in first and get the $300 and keep the Turbo as a backup phone or sell it yourself.