Unusual question about Droid media files

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
First, is there a way to convert a .WAV file to a .OGG file that will be recognized by the Android system?

Second, is there a way to copy such a file to the system area without rooting the phone? I have ESS File Explorer and I can see the / system / media folder where the bootanimation.zip file and droidpu.ogg files are stored (at least on my Droid MAXX with KK). I cannot paste anything into this folder, though. Am I correct in thinking that if I could replace those files, I could have custom boot animation and power up sound?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
First, is there a way to convert a .WAV file to a .OGG file that will be recognized by the Android system?

I never use Ogg Vorbis myself, but a quick search found that Zamzar can do this online: WAV to OGG | Zamzar - Free online file conversion

Second, is there a way to copy such a file to the system area without rooting the phone?

Nope.

I have ESS File Explorer and I can see the / system / media folder where the bootanimation.zip file and droidpu.ogg files are stored (at least on my Droid MAXX with KK). I cannot paste anything into this folder, though. Am I correct in thinking that if I could replace those files, I could have custom boot animation and power up sound?

Yep. But - you won't have permission to do that without root.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, that sucks. I'm guessing that the Turbo 2 is going to be exceedingly difficult to root. I bricked a Droid MAXX trying to root it. I won't be doing that again.

When I customized my T2, I added the personalized message "By your command..." to the boot screen. It's a BSG reference. Yeah, I'm a Sci-Fi nerd. It would have been nice to use that audio sound file and maybe find the oscillating red eye for the boot audio and animation to go with it.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Android will find audio files in non-system area's. I had created a Ringtones, Notifications, and Alarms directories, and placed my own in there, and after Android reboot it found them in the pulldown lists to select. I did the same with a Music directory for downloaded music.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Android will find audio files in non-system area's. I had created a Ringtones, Notifications, and Alarms directories, and placed my own in there, and after Android reboot it found them in the pulldown lists to select. I did the same with a Music directory for downloaded music.
It can't for the boot sound and animation. There are a few other functions that you can only use the stock sounds/alarms/notifications for also.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Something to keep in mind with rooting phones: more apps are starting to detect if a phone is rooted, and refuse to work. I've had this in the past with Amazon's payment app (which is soon defunct anyway), and I've heard this is the case with Android Pay. Kinda makes sense that they'd want to be absolutely sure the phone/app is secure for payment stuff...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if Google opened up this little bit of the Android OS and let us customize it without root.

I suspect that even if Google opened it up, Verizon might lock it down for the Droid series, since they usually make a fancy boot sequence.