Moto Active Display Timeout

DucatiDave

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Long time lurker of the forum...there has been several times where I had something useful to add, but wasn't part of the community, so I decided to go ahead and join. I actually posted this question over on the Q&A section, but thought I would go ahead and ask it here.

I really love the Active Display feature of Motorola's phones. On my previous phone, DT1, the notification pulsing timed out, it seemed, around 5-10 minutes. The DT2 times out and stops pulsing in exactly 3 minutes. I could easily be wrong with my estimate on the DT1, but it really seemed like it was longer than 3 minutes, for sure! I had read where previous iterations of the Active Display pulsed indefinitely, but I know that the the DT1 did not...it was definitely timed.

At any rate, is there any way to adjust the timeout of the notification pulsing?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Not that i have seen.

Welcome to the forums officially!

To be honest i never noticed that they timed out. Ive had the droid maxx and the turbo 1 and now 2. Now i am going to have to watch and see!!

Moto Droid Turbo 2

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome Dave, congrats on the new phone. I also absolutely love the Moto active display as well. I have yet to notice what you're describing, but I will now keep an eye out for it. I usually have my phone with me, so I answer notifications quickly, I'll let it go, see if it does in fact time out.

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Long time lurker of the forum...there has been several times where I had something useful to add, but wasn't part of the community, so I decided to go ahead and join. I actually posted this question over on the Q&A section, but thought I would go ahead and ask it here.

I really love the Active Display feature of Motorola's phones. On my previous phone, DT1, the notification pulsing timed out, it seemed, around 5-10 minutes. The DT2 times out and stops pulsing in exactly 3 minutes. I could easily be wrong with my estimate on the DT1, but it really seemed like it was longer than 3 minutes, for sure! I had read where previous iterations of the Active Display pulsed indefinitely, but I know that the the DT1 did not...it was definitely timed.

At any rate, is there any way to adjust the timeout of the notification pulsing?

That's not good. Looks like you're right too.
Reviews complaining here about the time out here

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.motorola.motodisplay&token=QFfded9A

And here
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/68b6a3e2ca

Was under the impression it was breathing all the time or at least customisable.

DucatiDave

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I'd be okay with 10 minutes of pulsating (indefinite is preferable), but we don't even get that! 3 minutes is too little...even 5 minutes is pushing the envelope of acceptability for me!

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd be okay with 10 minutes of pulsating (indefinite is preferable), but we don't even get that! 3 minutes is too little...even 5 minutes is pushing the envelope of acceptability for me!

haven't got mine yet, it's on the way..but that's gonna be a big factor of returning it if that's the case.
i rely on led notification from LG and Samsung. Moto Display being the equivalent. 3 mins? what's the point??
And i've noticed they haven't updated Moto Display on the Playstore since September 2014 and users have been complaining since then and throughout all of 2015.

Last edited:

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
haven't got mine yet, it's on the way..but that's gonna be a big factor of returning it if that's the case.
i rely on led notification from LG and Samsung. Moto Display being the equivalent. 3 mins? what's the point??
And i've noticed they haven't updated Moto Display on the Playstore since November 2014 and users have been complaining since then and throughout all of 2015.

Returning the phone over something that can be easily fixed by a software update? Come on, as soon as you even touch the phone the active display wakes up. I bet it was done to conserve as much battery life as possible. It's a guess, but it's the only thing I can think of.

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Returning the phone over something that can be easily fixed by a software update? Come on, as soon as you even touch the phone the active display wakes up. I bet it was done to conserve as much battery life as possible. It's a guess, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Yes, if it can be done by a software update, of course i'd keep it.
But as i've shown, they haven't updated the Moto Display app since September 2014. People have been requesting this feature from the start if you look at the reviews
The breathing started as indefinite, then went to 12 minutes, 10 minutes, now on this phone 3 minutes? what a joke.

you're right, it's definitely about battery and they probably want to conserve as much as possible of it to live up to their 48 hour battery life statement.

i'm too used to led notifications, sometimes my phone is further than arms length and i don't really want to reach over..i just want to glance, see what the notification is and choose whether or not to ignore it.

i also want to not keep looking at my phone every 2 mins and 59 seconds to not miss out on a notification.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough...I hear you, I'd much rather have indefinite as well. Just thought it was a bit harsh to return it over a not perfect feature that no other manufacture has. I'll take active display with a 3 minute timeout anyday over a dumb LED flashing...

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site
haha..yeah they are somewhat dumb, but i configured the colours to each program so it kind of works out..not as good as moto display which was actually what made me sway over to moto instead of something like the LG V10 that has a permanent display for notifications

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
haha..yeah they are somewhat dumb, but i configured the colours to each program so it kind of works out..not as good as moto display which was actually what made me sway over to moto instead of something like the LG V10 that has a permanent display for notifications

oh that did look cool on the V10, but I am a bit of a Moto fanboy, plus the V10 is HUGE!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
As somebody who had a Droid Maxx, the first phone with Active Display (now called Moto Display), I can assure that the breathing was not indefinite. It would start breathing quickly, after a minute or two slow down, after maybe a dozen or so minutes it wouldn't breathe again until you received a new notification or you moved the phone.

You can nudge the phone, you can wave your hand in front if you have that feature on, and it will start breathing again.

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site
As somebody who had a Droid Maxx, the first phone with Active Display (now called Moto Display), I can assure that the breathing was not indefinite. It would start breathing quickly, after a minute or two slow down, after maybe a dozen or so minutes it wouldn't breathe again until you received a new notification or you moved the phone.

You can nudge the phone, you can wave your hand in front if you have that feature on, and it will start breathing again.

have a look here
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/68b6a3e2ca?page=3

it seems as though some have it indefinitely, some for a limited time.
Also an interesting quote where Motorola has acknowledged the problem and was to provide an update but that never happened.

DucatiDave

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Here's another observation between the DT1 and the 2 as far as the Active Display goes...

The screen is definitely not as bright as the DT1 when pulsing. My wife still has the DT1 and we charge them each night via wireless charging and the wireless stands are next to each other. I've noticed that hers is definitely brighter when pulsing than mine. Maybe this is adjustable, but I've not ran across the setting yet. Not a big deal for me, but just an observation.

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Here's another observation between the DT1 and the 2 as far as the Active Display goes...

The screen is definitely not as bright as the DT1 when pulsing. My wife still has the DT1 and we charge them each night via wireless charging and the wireless stands are next to each other. I've noticed that hers is definitely brighter when pulsing than mine. Maybe this is adjustable, but I've not ran across the setting yet. Not a big deal for me, but just an observation.

damn..it's getting worse :p

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if it can be done by a software update, of course i'd keep it.
But as i've shown, they haven't updated the Moto Display app since September 2014. People have been requesting this feature from the start if you look at the reviews
The breathing started as indefinite, then went to 12 minutes, 10 minutes, now on this phone 3 minutes? what a joke.

you're right, it's definitely about battery and they probably want to conserve as much as possible of it to live up to their 48 hour battery life statement.

i'm too used to led notifications, sometimes my phone is further than arms length and i don't really want to reach over..i just want to glance, see what the notification is and choose whether or not to ignore it.

i also want to not keep looking at my phone every 2 mins and 59 seconds to not miss out on a notification.

Moto Display is now part of the Moto app.

Posted via the Android Central App

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Implying that the app is not going to get updated anymore. It's no longer standalone for newer devices. It's now part of the Moto app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Good call Sanders, he's right, you won't see any updates on the moto display app. It's rolled into the whole moto app now. So you never will see an update to the standalone moto display app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma