What function replaces the Smart Action on the Droid Turbo 2?

A

AC Question

I had a Droid 4 where I could put my phone "to sleep" when at a specific address using the Smart Action function. I am unable to find this on my Droid Turbo 2? Seems to only be programmable for a specific time frame, which will not meet my needs. Can the Droid Turbo 2 do this for me?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What does that mean "put my phone to sleep"? Do you mean turn it silent?

For location based actions, Tasker is a great (though expensive and complicated) app. Llama is free (though I must say I haven't used it regularly for a couple of years.) Both are in the Play Store.

There is nothing stock that will do location based activity. The Moto app assist function will allow you to silence the phone based on events on your calendar, if that's a useful kludge and if Tasker or llama can't do what you want.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
On some of the old droids, like the moto razr maxx i had, it had an app called smart actions.
It allowed you to do several things, like shut the data radio off after so many minutes of screen off or things like that.

It was actually really handy, and it disappeared a few years ago.

Some things are now being baked into android, like doze, which is supposed to help standby time, but the original smart actions that Motorola had was awesome. One of things that shouldnt have went away!

Moto Droid Turbo 2

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I had a Droid 4 where I could put my phone "to sleep" when at a specific address using the Smart Action function. I am unable to find this on my Droid Turbo 2? Seems to only be programmable for a specific time frame, which will not meet my needs. Can the Droid Turbo 2 do this for me?

SMARTACTIONS is no more. I have posted so many times about it as it worked so well for me. I can't believe someone somewhere made a conscious decision to remove it. People will comment and recommend things similar, but nothing will ever be as simple and awesome as SMARTACTIONS. Sucks...

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe that Motorola has posted a reason why they dropped many of the sophisticated smartaction features, but my guess is that once they started using low power/low speed co-processors for the assist app to detect motion that the motion co-processors cannot do location "gating" fast enough to work right. Detecting that you are moving faster than 20 MPH? Sure Detecting whether or not you are entering or leaving several discrete locations? Maybe not.

It could also be that they were going for simplicity over sophistication, knowing that apps like Tasker already exist, and that a very large percentage of users were not using these features.

It could also be that they felt that trying to update the smartactions app for each new android release would be too difficult going forward.

The reason doesn't matter - third party apps exist that can replace this functionality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781