GPS location high accuracy mode randomly turning on!

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have this issue! I prefer to stay in battery saving mode and chose when to use high accuracy. Very frustrating! Thanks for any help.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is it staying on? If you use Google Now Location services it can usually select High Accuracy mode on its own (and yes, you agreed to it when you signed up, it's right there on the Terms most of us don't read hehe) BUT if this is the case, the mode you selected before should stay there after Google is done polling for your location.

I would check if you have any other location-based apps that might be forcing the High Accuracy mode...again, maybe it was in the permissions before installing and you just didn't notice?

Best way to debug this would be to boot your phone into Safe Mode (keeping 3rd party apps from loading at boot) and see if 'stock' apps turn it on. Problem with this particular issue is that for it to happen you may have to wait a while and using your phone solely in Safe Mode without opening 3rd party apps is, well, not ideal for someone who actually uses his phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, it just turns Wifi on for a short time to assist the GPS receiver. (Neither GPS nor Wifi [in that mode - it only receives] consume much power.)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This day and age unless an app is specifically using the GPS, it's not really turned on like the days of yore. Also, battery consumption from GPS radios are vastly improved now.

I see negligible differences in my battery life on my tablet if I set location services to High Acuracy VS Low now, unless I'm using Maps constantly.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I leave my phone on high location. When I have turned it off the effect on the battery is minimal

Posted via the Android Central App