6.0 Marshmallow: Connection Issues on T-Mobile

kinet3k

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow connection issues

I've been testing my t-mobile sim with Iphone and it works flawlessly. Not a single connection issue in two days. I've also been testing DT2 with verizon sim and no connection breaks too, I've also noticed huge increase in battery life because of good connection. Mine works fine when wifi is disabled. It seems to me that when wifi is enabled it changes the band (or what?) as 4G sign disappears and probably this causes the issue. When I'm on verizon 4G sign is shown even when I'm on wifi. I've also seen similar T-Mobile issues with Moto X (or DT1?) when 4G wasn't reenabled after wifi was disconnected, they didn't experience network drops though but still had to restart the phone to get 4G back I wonder if it's a software bug or a feature to make sure DT2 is used only on verizon.

thestir

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

My son and I have the Droid Turbo 2 and exactly the same issue with data after Marshmallow on T-Mobile. On Lollipop was very stable and worked well. Now horrible and no real recourse since it is a Verizon phone on T-Mobile.

So wish I had not taken the update or that there was a roll back option.

Hoping that a resolution shows up.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
4. And now the reason I've created this topic. My phone started loosing network constantly (I'm on t-mobile right now). View attachment 220567View attachment 220568. Please find two attached images. My phone just looses network and rarely reconnects, it only works if I remove sim and insert it again or if I restart the phone and sometimes if I play with network settings changing them back and forth. And guess what? Before the update I haven't had a single issue using T-Mobile sim. Anybody have the same issue? And yes, first I went to t-mobile and got myself a new sim just in case. For me it looks like this update disabled some of the bands or decreased antenna power, or...t-mobile removed its antennas both from my condo and from my office which are 15 miles away right the day I updated to marshmallow.

Anyone with the same issues? While I can live with most of them if I don't fix the connection one I'll have to throw the phone out of the window.

For clarification, I've updated the thread title to "6.0 Marshmallow: Connection Issues on T-Mobile".

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site

I'm on Verizon, and several times today I've had issues during a call. Stays connected, but neither party can hear each other.

This happen on what might have been the edge of our office Wi-Fi.

After reading this thread I'm going to do some test....
might be part of why they pulled the update.

kinet3k

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Here's another info but from Nexus 6:

I believe the radio in the 6.0 build has disabled band 12, or there is a bug in the radio somewhere. I am very happy staying with the old radio until google releases a fix.

I have the same exact issue; the reception has gone to **** with the new radio. In the same exact location I used to get LTE in, I barely get H now. Definitely going back to an older radio, thanks.

We are not alone. I think it's not phone but Marshmallow issue. Definitely decided to disable smth. or just a software bug.

It seems like flashing lollipop radio is solution for nexus, I assume same solution is for DT2. Anyone know if it's possible to achieve? I've never flashed radios (at least separately to ROMs) and I assume this is not possible for DT2 as it's unrooted? Can I flash lollipop back?

Last edited:

kinet3k

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Just a small update, I'm in Canada now with DT2 and same sim-card, my network is Bell and I don't have a single issue with network. Seems like this only applies to t-mobile:-\

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
My update: I changed to a back-up phone. This issue on the DT2 was too frustrating to deal with. In my line of work, I have to toggle airplane mode frequently for travel and this highlighted the problem more often. The phone would have trouble reconnecting to the network when I came out of airplane mode and would require a restart.
Also, I seemed to have trouble with upload speeds, even while showing 4G LTE. This manifested itself especially while replying to or sending out emails. They would simply sit in my outbox. I don't know if this is all related but I do know that switching to my back up phone (Alcatel Idol 3) solved the email issue as well as connectivity issues.
Hopefully this gets resolved - otherwise, I have a nice DT2 for sale. As the OP said - best phone ever until the update. :(

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Are people having trouble on other GSM systems, or only on T-Mobile? The Canadian user above says he was not having any problems. If the phone does not work on systems outside the U.S., then that would be an issue that Verizon/Motorola would want to fix. But if it doesn't work on one of Verizon's domestic competitors, I can see why they would not be putting a lot of energy into resolving the problem.

This is one of the issues with provider-branded phones.

bbouler

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm also stuck currently with a Turbo 2 on Tmobile and no signal for the last 27 hours. I started losing my signal after the marshmallow update, just randomly over the few weeks. Now despite doing everything tmobile and motorola have suggested, I got nothing but a phone to use on wifi. Even the factory reset did nothing. I am currently looking for ways to remove marshmallow if anyone could post that, I'd appreciate it.

currently tmobile just keeps repeating - sorry since you didn't get the phone from us, you need to contact motorola.
and motorola has said they may just need to send me a new phone.

phone worked okay before marshmallow - i would say great, but its tmobile.. nothing is ever great.

kinet3k

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
IMG_3479.jpgIMG_3242.jpgseems like my story was written by a decent writer:confused: Once I woke up and saw what you can see on the attached image, a famous green/pink line issue. That was my chance and I made the most out of it. I chatted with Verizon representative and since my phone was still under the warranty chat rep was kind enough to send me a free certified used phone (which ended up being a phone looking new without a single scratch). I had been preying for two days for the new phone to have Lollipop and guess what? It actually had lollipop when I opened it. Took me round two hours to reinstall all the apps etc. (thank God Nova Launcher allows settings import, saved me some time) but now I have my droid turbo back as I've been on wifi and not a single issue even though my network signal is poor where I'm now.

Now I just need to stay away from marshmallow.

Last edited:

MikesChevelle

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to kick an old thread, I was having issues too and it seemed to be connected to the phone auto connecting to known wifi sources. I ran wifi off for a few days and did not have an issue. I also read that turning HD calling off fixed the issue for someone. I have turned wifi and auto connect back on and am testing the phone with out HD calling turned on. So far so good.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Another point to note is that this thread was started when the first, buggy build of Marshmallow was released. Two updates have come in since then, one of them being a fixed version of Marshmallow. Maybe this new build will work fine on T-Mobile?

I'm not suggesting that the OP risk the update now risk losing service again, but I'm just saying that the issue may have been fixed by now.

fluidfocus

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Been struggling with this problem on my LG G3 on TMobile as well. Here are things that are worth trying if you want to avoid a hard reset (as suggested by TMobile support):

1) Manually updating APN
2) Removing SIM card
3) Clearing system cache
4) Network settings reset
5) In Developer Menu: Use legacy DHCP client
6) In Developer Menu: Cellular data always active
7) Disable Binge by texting #263#
8) Flash radio back to Lollipop

I also noticed that whenever I used Advanced Task Killer it immediately killed my mobile connection, so that's something to be aware of.

Seems like APN updates resolve this for most people, though it did not resolve for me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I also noticed that whenever I used Advanced Task Killer it immediately killed my mobile connection, so that's something to be aware of.

There is absolutely no reason to use Advanced Task Killer. Get junk like that off your phone. It was probably ok before Gingerbread, but it's been unnecessary and counter-productive for years now.

JaseBrons

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I am also sorry to revive an old post. Just curious if anyone has any updates on this issue? I recently bought a Droid Turbo 2 for a great deal and am on T-Mobile. Wondering if it's safe to update at this point, or if I'll have to avoid Marshmallow as well once I receive it. Thanks!

JaseBrons

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up in case others wanted to try T-Mobile with this device. So far I have noticed no issues. I always have service. Not sure if it was fixed or if the problem only affects certain people.

shantanu chaudhary

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I'm in the same scenario:
-Had the Turbo 2 for about 3 months. It's been on t-mobile from day one with no connection issues.
-Installed the update and almost immediately began having issues with data and phone connection. It randomly drops out, sometimes in the middle of the night (while I'm on call!).
-Restarting or toggling network settings usually fixes it.
-I've also had multiple android phones on t-mobile. This was the best yet. Hopefully someone can solve this.
I'm from India also having this network issue after the marshmallow update ,i reseted it several times but nothing changes, this specially happen when sim 1 is active 4g.
so I tried to catch a bug report but I dont know where to send it . Can Anyone help ??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR