Music App for Droid Turbo 2

paulasims

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,
My husband just got a Droid Turbo 2 (I have the Droid Turbo) and he wants a music app where we can put CD's into the phone. We need to have it where he can input information about the CD (title, artist, genre) as well as the songs AND have them organized in a certain way. What can I say -- he's an engineer?

I don't care if I have to pay for the app, I just want it to be easy (I program mainframes but these smartphones terrify me) and something I can connect from my PC to the phone via USB (we don't have WiFi).

thanks for any help

Paula

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If money isn't an issue, the easiest way is to simply buy the music you want on Amazon music or Google play's music stores. Everything will be formatted with album covers and all.

ITunes has a very good, automated set up for ripping CDs and organizing them on a PC or Mac. You'd then have to import the music to your phone.
I use PowerAmp on my turbo 2 for music. It seems to handle folders and album art the best with lots of audio tweaking if you're in to that.

dwgsp

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Paula,

I recently switched from iOS to Android, and I have continued to use iTunes to manage my music. As tlacour says, iTunes does a great job ripping CDs and organizing them on a PC. I then use iSyncr to copy music from iTunes onto my Turbo 2.

My only complaint is that I have not found an Android music player that supports the "skip when shuffling" feature that iTunes/iOS supports. For someone like me, who keeps a lot of music from a variety of genres on my phone (some of which I would never want to shuffle, such as classical), moving to Android has been a step backwards.

pawdog

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I use J.River Media Center on the PC, it's paid software and worth every penny if you are serious about music, and Google Music. J.River will handle your ripping, tagging and handle your music collection. Google Music will allow you to upload up to 20,000 tracks for free. Google Music Android app will allow you to either stream your music or download music to your device, to your SD card if you desire. If you don't have wifi (internet?) J.River will allow you to tag by hand and upload to your phone via USB. Power Amp has also been a go to app for strictly on device music.

Good luck with that tagging music by hand.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This is turning into a really informative thread - with a bit of structure, I think it would make a useful sticky.

Great to read about some of the more serious music apps for those who manage their own files, ripped CD's, etc. Glad pawdog mentioned Google Play Music. It really needs a better name, and Google has been slow to publicize its value and features, but it continues to get better over time. With Wi-Fi access, the entire library (30+ million tracks I believe?) is available on demand, play lists continue to improve, and you can cache any or all of your music / libraries / playlists on your phone, depending of course on the amount of storage you've got. I added a 64GB high speed Samsung SD micro SD card for my photos and music - rethinking that now, and probably moving to a 128GB card (love having this option with my DT2), which would let me have many thousands of tracks on the phone.

Having music cached on the phone, combined with noise canceling headphones (mine are PSB M4U2), makes air travel SO much better - minimal noise from the plane, and non-stop music that I choose.

Re: tagging music by hand - guessing that would get to be a bit tedious after the first thousand or so... :(

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I use Rocket Player because it can apply album art to tracks that don't have it (I'm too lazy to do it myself) and because of its extra features, such as being able to Chromecast your music and its built in video player. It's themable too!

My only complaint about it in the past was that its lockscreen music controls didn't work on Moto Display, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it has been fixed in the Marshmallow update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463