Wireless Charging Question

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Lithium ion batteries are generally designed to charge in a temperature range up to about about 45 degrees C with no problem at all. That's about 113 degrees F, and as a matter of fact, Lithium Ion batteries have a current safety cutoff at 90 degrees C (194 degrees F). You're nowhere near a dangerous range, and it sounds like your battery is actually staying within the "ideal" charging temperature range. For more on Lithium Ion safety considerations, see:

Lithium-ion Safety Concerns – Battery University

OK cool. Thank you.

Posted via the Android Central App

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Bit late to the show but here are my comments:

The triple coil transmitter/charger configuration allows for some freedom of positioning, but be aware that there are dead spots between the coils where they overlap. If the receiver/phone coil falls in these dead zones, the phone will not charge.

I highly recommend purchasing a Qi-certified charger, that way whatever issues you have will generally be more with the phone and not the charger. You can determine if a charger is Qi-certified by the Qi logo on its packaging, or by looking up the model number on the WPC product page.

The DT2's full wireless charge rate is ~950mA.

@Lucy Davies: the turbo charger charges the phone at a full rate of 4A (initially) and dropping the rate as the battery state of charge increases. Things tend to get hot when we're fiddling around with 4A, and will cool off as taper starts around 80%. I would believe that Motorola's engineers accounted for this heat and 44C is within normal range, so you're fine.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I have a question about charging. Is it normal for the phone to get really hot while charging via the turbo charger the phone came with? My phone heats up to 44 degrees C. Is this normal & will that damage the battery?

My DT2 gets really hot when I charge is with the supplied Turbo charger, even after a factory reset. Way more so than any other phone I've had. Because of that, I only use the turbo charger when I need battery quickly. If I'm charging overnight, I use a Samsung charger I have from my old S4, which runs a lot cooler.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on VerLIEzon Wireless but without their shackles.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My DT2 gets really hot when I charge is with the supplied Turbo charger, even after a factory reset. Way more so than any other phone I've had. Because of that, I only use the turbo charger when I need battery quickly. If I'm charging overnight, I use a Samsung charger I have from my old S4, which runs a lot cooler.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on VerLIEzon Wireless but without their shackles.

I normally use the turbo charger that came with my phone as I love how fast it charges. I just don't play around much on my phone when it's on charge. I'm OK with it reaching 44 degrees C now I no it's normal.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I use the Tylt charger. It worked perfectly with my Turbo 2 until I put a bulky case on it then it wouldn't connect. I fixed it by putting the phone on the carger upside down (top of the phone sitting on the bottom of the charger). I guess it connects that way because the opening for the camera, etc. is in the right spot to get a connection. It worked perfectly before the case. D'Oh! At least I figured out how to make it work with the case. I love that charger.

brts96

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
The cases do seem to have a major impact on charging.

I'm running an Otter Box Defender on my phone. According to Ampere, there's a major reduction in energy getting to the battery with the whole thing assembled.

Once I removed the rubber cover, the charge rate jumped significantly. That was both my new Anker charger and my original Nokia, which seems to be more powerful than the Anker, in regard to getting the current through the case.

Position also seemed to be key with the wireless charger , where a very small movent could make a big change.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I use the Tylt charger. It worked perfectly with my Turbo 2 until I put a bulky case on it then it wouldn't connect. I fixed it by putting the phone on the carger upside down (top of the phone sitting on the bottom of the charger). I guess it connects that way because the opening for the camera, etc. is in the right spot to get a connection. It worked perfectly before the case. D'Oh! At least I figured out how to make it work with the case. I love that charger.

Does it work if you turn the phone landscape rather than upside-down?

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I have found that putting the phone landscape, and making sure that the green light on the Tylt is centered under the wireless charging circle that you see when wireless charging starts, really keeps the phone cooler. In portrait mode, it would get up to 112 degrees, but it typically gets up to only the high 90s with the landscape placement. I don't have a case.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm reading all these issues with wireless charging here, and this reinforces my belief that in its current form it's stupid. You have to put the phone on the pad in exactly the right position in order for the phone to not lose charge while charging? You have to take off your cases in order to get a decent charging rate?

What a joke. At this point it's far more convenient to plug the damn phone in.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What a joke. At this point it's far more convenient to plug the damn phone in.

Good chargers like Tilt always charge when I place my phone in the cradle. It's pretty convenient and easier on the USB port.

That said, with quick/turbo charging, wireless charging isn't worth a lot until it supports faster charging rates. I used it for overnight charging, but I wouldn't use it if I needed a quick charge during the day.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Nope. Worked fine before the case but now only works upside down.
The Tylt charger works on other phones (and this one as well without this case) just fine. It works on my son's Galaxy with an Otter Box case in either portrait or landscape mode. I worked that way on my MAXX and also on my Turbo2 before I put this case on. I'll probably get a different case or else just use it naked. I never had a case on my MAXX and it was fine.

My wife uses the MAXX now as her streaming media device in her sewing room. I got her a nice WiFi (and Bluetooth as well) speaker and she loves it.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Good chargers like Tilt always charge when I place my phone in the cradle. It's pretty convenient and easier on the USB port.

That said, with quick/turbo charging, wireless charging isn't worth a lot until it supports faster charging rates. I used it for overnight charging, but I wouldn't use it if I needed a quick charge during the day.

Do you have a case on your Turbo 2? I have the case off of mine for some stuff I'm doing and I just set it on the Tylt charger. It works great with no fiddling required at all and in all placements, topside down, rightside up, landscape. All immediately start charging.

I only put a case on the phone because the back is slick and it would slide off the arm of my chair, etc. I'd like a case that solves that problem but doesn't interfere with my Tylt charger and also doesn't make getting the phone in and out of my jeans pocket a pain in the neck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678