Google play books question.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Me & my mum both had an email from Google with a £3 credit towards our first books from the list of 40 best sellers so we downloaded the books we wanted but is there a way to save the book to the sd card? My mum's phone is on 4.4.4 KitKat so maybe different for her but is there a way?

Posted via the Android Central App

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
The only reader thing in our house is a kobo & dunno if that would support books from Google play. Is there a way to put them in the cloud & read it that way or download is to the phone then when you have finished put it in the cloud to allow space for another book?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry--I thought you'd be able to download the books as ePub files, store them on your SD card, and then read them directly using Play Books. But apparently, you can only upload ePub files to your Play Books account, then read it online.:-\

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to ... download is to the phone then when you have finished put it in the cloud to allow space for another book?

Yep, absolutely, that's exactly the way it works. Play Books shows you your library. If a book is purchased and in the cloud, it will download and open the book. It shows a little check mark if it is downloaded, and you can tap the three dot menu to remove the download from the phone.

Books are tiny, you'll likely not be challenged for space by having several books downloaded.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I was focused on trying to save the book to the SD card. doogald makes a good point that downloaded books shouldn't take up much space on Internal Storage to begin with!

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Glad to here books are tiny. I'll probably be ok with loads of books but my mum only has just over 1GB on here phone as she only had about 4GB to play with. So what does remove download mean? Don't wanna delete the book.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Glad to here books are tiny. I'll probably be ok with loads of books but my mum only has just over 1GB on here phone as she only had about 4GB to play with. So what does remove download mean? Don't wanna delete the book.

It deletes the book from the device, but it is still available in your library on the Cloud. (It is possible to delete from your library if you really, really don't like the book, but anything that you purchase is always available to you.)

I just downloaded the book "Great Expectations" from my library (to my computer); it is under 4 MB. You probably know how large that book (in pages) is. It would take 250 of these to worry about using 1 GB of storage.

Last edited:

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow I may get more books now :) so I'm right in this picture one book is downloaded on my phone & the other 3 are in the cloud?

23462.jpg

I touched one & it downloaded & I could read it then I removed it from my device. Dunno why those 3 books are there as I never downloaded them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez