SMS Notification Sound Not Playing Correctly

thesmithgirl

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I've been googling this for a while and haven't found anything. When I get a text message, sometimes the notification sound plays, and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes when it does, it cuts in halfway with some crackly sounds. (I only use notification sounds for texts, so it could be for other apps too, hard to say.) Not sure if it's a software issue or a hardware issue. Speakerphone seems to work fine, so I don't know if it's my speaker or not. It almost sounds like a wiring issue, but thought I should check to see if anyone else has had this issue before I go to Verizon for repair/replacement.

I've had the phone for about two months and it's always been this way.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick question: are you using a stock messaging app, or a downloaded texting app? Make sure the correct SMS app is being used as your default app.

Posted via the Android Central App

thesmithgirl

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Not a download app - the Verizon Message+ that came pre-installed. There IS a plain messaging app as well. Let me test switching to that that to see if that's the issue. Will follow up...

frankemtp

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
With the Turbo 2, I have run into the issue that you succinctly stated. The only solution that I have found is rebooting the phone. The problem is intermittent and thus difficult to find the culprit. Good luck!

thesmithgirl

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I've tried rebooting but for me that doesn't seem to fix it. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, switching from the Message+ app to the super-basic messaging app on the phone DOES, at least for now. Too bad - it's not a cool app at all! Thank you Morty2264 for that suggestion. If it starts getting wonky again I'll circle back around.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've tried rebooting but for me that doesn't seem to fix it. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, switching from the Message+ app to the super-basic messaging app on the phone DOES, at least for now. Too bad - it's not a cool app at all! Thank you Morty2264 for that suggestion. If it starts getting wonky again I'll circle back around.

You're welcome! I'm sorry the basic app isn't as snazzy! Yes, please let us know if anything else happens that causes the ringtone to be wonky (good word choice, BTW)!

JohnCer

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
My wife's T2 just started doing this as well. Message+ along with a Zedge notification tone. Also using Caller Name Talker app as well. I tried just about everything and then in the messaging app I unchecked message popup in the settings menu. Now the tone plays as well as who the text is from. She's happy, so I'm happy.