Turbo 2 Destroying Battery Within 3 Hours

propav8r

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I recently purchased a T2 from Swappa, and loved it until about a week ago.

Seemingly out of the blue (started around noon on Saturday), the phone started rapidly draining battery. I am getting approximately 2.5-3 hours from a full charge, even when the phone sits idle on my desk. The phone also heats up to 100-110*f on the rear of the device while this is occurring. Turbopower charging is extremely slow due to the fact that the phone is using power almost as fast as it's charging.

Power cycling the phone has no effect. The only thing I have found that does help is turning on Airplane Mode for about 15 minutes, then switching it off. Once I do this, the battery life will return to normal, but out of the blue, the device will start heating up and chomping battery again.

The main power hog appears to be Google Services. Before you ask, I've cleared the cache and data for Google Services, Google Play Store, and Google Services Framework. I also performed a factory reset on the device on Monday night, and it didn't help matters at all. The only way to improve it is to enable and later disable Airplane Mode.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to alleviate the issue? I lean heavily on my phone for work, and this makes it pretty difficult.

Here's a link to an imgur gallery of a few screencaptures: Droid Turbo Battery Issues - Album on Imgur

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Thanks for those screenshots, but it would be helpful to see it done this way:

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

If your phone doesn't show cell signal strength, then consider installing GSam Battery Monitor.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

propav8r

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Here we go...something's forcing the phone to remain "awake"

You can see that it was discharging normally until around 11:30-12, then it suddenly dropped. The part at the end is where it flattned out when I turned on airplane mode when I felt it getting hot in my pocket.

The only thing I can think that I did differently around that time was I made a voice call to a coworker. I'm going to fully charge it and try and duplicate the problem.

hhP4uYcl.png

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Show us some of the other screenshots I mentioned, like the list of apps that are using battery.

Corrupt files on an SD card can cause this as well, so try unmounting the card (in Settings>Storage) and running the phone normally for a while.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI, by definition, when the phone is actively being used to make a call, it is awake, whether the display is on or off. The same goes for playing music/audio.

propav8r

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Just FYI, by definition, when the phone is actively being used to make a call, it is awake, whether the display is on or off. The same goes for playing music/audio.

Understood. I rarely have phone conversations in excess of 5 minutes, and don't do much streaming. In the older screenshot above, I was neither on a call or streaming any media while the battery was rapidly discharging. It was sitting idle in my pocket.

I unmounted the SD card on Friday and battery life was noticeably better Saturday and yesterday, but it started burning through charge again around noon yesterday. I just recently fully charged the phone, so I'll update the thread in a few hours with more screenshots/info.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
but it started burning through charge again around noon yesterday.

Had the card been re-mounted? Check to see if either you re-mounted it, or if it seemed to re-mount on its own. If it did, then unmount the card again and this time take it out, and see how the battery life is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11