Moto X Force & 7.0 Nougat?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I live in the UK & have the near stock android Moto X Force & was wondering if the phone would get 7.0 Nougat? The phone is unlocked so not tied to a carrier luckily. Anyone no if the phone will get the new update?

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Motorola has said one way or the other which old models will receive Nougat. You'll just have to wait and see what they say.

In the past it's been more likely for unlocked phones than for carrier specific models, but that doesn't mean that will be the case this time.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Pretty sure the moto x force came out round about November last year in the uk so the phone should still be supported. Thought companies supported phones for about 2 years?

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Usually that's true, especially for the unlocked models, but that doesn't mean it will happen. I'm guessing that in a few weeks Lenovo will announce their Nougat plans.

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I am going to have to agree with Jerry Hildenbrand on this issue. He said in this AC post that any Motorola phone developed or released prior to the Lenovo acquisition would most likely not receive any further updates.

Will my phone get updated to Android 7.0 Nougat? http://www.androidcentral.com/will-my-phone-get-updated-android-nougat

The Force being unlocked has a much better chance, but I'm convinced my Turbo 2 has seen its last update.

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo bought Motorola in late October, 2014. The Moto Z phones that were recently announced are considered to be the first phones developed post acquisition.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lenovo bought Motorola in late October, 2014. The Moto Z phones that were recently announced are considered to be the first phones developed post acquisition.

Except that assumption is incorrect.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=716051

We started in about the August 2013. We added a few electrical and software engineers, but it was still a pretty small team.

The Moto Z was in development when they released the first generation Moto X (under Google).

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
After the exremely positive experience of Nougat on my N9, I am really looking forward to get it on my Moto X Force.
Will this happen? I truly hope so...

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hope this is true. Would like to be on a new version of Android but why in February? That's so late. Thought unlocked phones got it in a few months?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hope this is true. Would like to be on a new version of Android but why in February? That's so late. Thought unlocked phones got it in a few months?

Newer phones tend to get updates before older ones. February seems early to me. I'd hope for May and be happy if it's earlier.