Factory reset when screen is dead

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Turbo 2 was damaged (run over on pavement). Phone still works - I can hear it ringing, and if I'm lucky, even answer it by guessing where answer call button should be.
But, screen is dead - it flashes occasionally, but is otherwise just black and useless, nothing can be viewed.
I want to back up some data (if possible) before returning for replacement, and even more I want to factory reset to ensure personal data (some photos, notes, account and password data, etc.) is wiped off before I send it back to vzn.

I've connected it to my computer via USB. Computer knows the device is there, I can see it in file manager, but computer can't seem to see any data ("This folder is empty.")

Suggestions?

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Wow, that is an ingenious solution for someone with a lot of motivation, patience, and a second phone to use as a "template"! I have the first two, but not the duplicate turbo 2. I guess backing up data is out. However, I'd still like to reset the device to wipe out sensitive data.

I wonder if any one can help me to simply wipe the unit of existing data? I've read about putting device in safe mode then doing factory reset. I think I could do that if I had screen shots to show what menus come up, and what order the options are listed, then I could use volume buttons and screen on/off button to make selections, even though I can't see the menus.

Anyone?

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Cannot download any apps.

"screen is dead - it flashes occasionally, but is otherwise just black and useless".

If I could use screen at all, I could easily back up everything and reset phone. I can't see anything on screen.

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to factory reset it fairly easily using the recovery menu. Hold power and volume down for about 12 seconds. volume down twice, power button. Wait another 10 seconds, hold power and press volume up and release power, volume down four times power button, volume down once, power button.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My point is that Lookout and perhaps a VZW app that's already installed will wipe your phone from a pc.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your troubles. But I am also interested in hearing the story about just how it came to be that your DT2 was run over in the first place:eek:

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
I was riding motorcycle. I wasn't wearing a lot of gear like for a normal "ride", as I was only going about 1 mile to my gym. Long-story-short: I was forced to take some evasive maneuvers/hard turns to avoid a collision (dang teen drivers!). Coming out of swerve, phone slid out of my pocket, got run over as it lay on the street.

Just one of those stupid convergence of coincidental events.

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Thx, Copy and Zoro.

My computer doesn't recognize any contents on the phone, Zoro... still, I can check on the PC app(s) as you suggested.

In the meantime, I'll try Copy's approach. I was thinking I could reset, if only I knew what the menu looks like and use the volume/power keys.

Thanks! I'll check back to confirm if it works for me or not.

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Sanders: Home run!!!

(I think). Since screen is dead, I can't really be sure about anything. BUT, after accessing Android Device Manager online, I put SIM card back in old (damaged) phone. I had ADM ring the phone, successfully, to determine that it was communicating with correct device. Then selected "erase", got warning that I was about to factory reset the phone, and went ahead and did it.

So, I lost very little data (most important stuff was backed up to cloud), and I'm confident that any passwords account info, etc. was erased off the phone.

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair