Settings mysteriously changing?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Lately I've had a lot of strange behavior from my phone. A lot of the settings have changed. For example, the location setting for all apps has been reset. I had to authorize each app to accesses the phone's location. The screen auto rotate was also shut off. Lots of little things like that. It's very strange. Anyone else experience this? Is this something Verizon is doing? Background bloatware app installation, maybe?

Last edited:

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that whenever I do a cache clear, that I lose setting for all notifications. Ringtone, lightflow, messenger, etc. If I look in settings, all of them have a numerical name, but dont work. Its almost like they get mapped from the adopted external storage, but when doing a cache clear, that mapping gets lost. I have to go in and reset them every time. I've wondered if its because I have activated adoptable storage back when it first came along with M update. The problem didnt seem to exist before then. BTW, by cache clear, I mean the power off, key presses, recovery menu cache clear.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've always thought that clearing that cache was overrated. I only do it if my phone is acting up somehow. Try going without clearing that cache and see how the phone runs.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thats the only time I do it too. But I finally put 2-n-2 together, and thats when the notifications get messed up. Was just wondering if Sandman could corroborate the two events to see if we can figure out why stuff changes.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not from an OS update, as the last one was some time ago. It might be from a cache clear, but I doubt it. I'll have to clear it again and see if that affects anything. It's never done this before after a cache clear.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just had to authorize the stock calendar app access to my contacts, etc, again. It's like all the settings went back to factory stock, but I can think of nothing that could have caused that. The calendar was no longer syncing with my wife's.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, as I authorize access to each app, it seems to be holding. It's as if a single event somewhere in the recent history of the phone removed all the permissions I had allowed when I set it up. Weird.

millerman61

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Do you happen to have Gasbuddy on your phone? It wants access to bluetooth as a permission and I found that it became my #1 battery consumer. I was also having problems with apps losing permissions like you. Since uninstall about a month ago I have had no problems with either.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I almost feel I want to ask if people are using the app Gas Buddy when they report weird issues like this. It's been associated with weird problems like this for a while now.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-trying-connect-disappears-appears-again.html

(I notice you were in that thread, too, Sandman.)

I saw another one about problems with BT that were solved when Gas Buddy was uninstalled.

Funny you mention that, because yesterday I lost ALL of my Bluetooth connections. They have been wiped off my phone.