Leaving Droid 2! What's next?

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had it with this phone.. too many issues. Multiple resets and it's still laggy and just not fun to use anymore. What I'm not sure about is where to go from here. I love the Moto experience and truly feel I'll miss it if I go to say the Galaxy S7. I know for sure if I do go that way I'll make sure to strip it as much Touch Wiz as I can with the Samsung Lock UI and maybe the Google now launcher or Action Launcher that I use now. My debate is should I consider the new Moto Z line? Since cool stuff there, I'm not really into the mods specifically but the phone seems to be well made. I'm skeptical of the Moto software now because my last two turbos have been laggy after just 6 months of use. Anyone else considering jumping off the turbo 2 into something new?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Z does look like a nice device; the only thing i would be concerned about is the update pattern Moto will have. I peeked at Verizon's page, and I think the next best device might be the HTC 10.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wait to see what the next Nexus/Pixel phones are going to be and see if they will be available on Verizon, as the 6p and 5x were?

Or, of course, iPhone? If you're thinking of the Z, obviously the headphone jack isn't all that important to you.

At this point, I won't go with any other phone than these.

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the headphone jack direct mean jack to me:) the only thing that worries me about the Moto phones is the phone becoming laggy as my past two have. I like the HTC 10 but I'm not sure enough..I am interested in the new Nexus/ pixel phones.. when are they scheduled to drop?

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I am right there myself. I have been on Android since Eclair and the Droid Turbo 2 is the most frustrating and inconsistent Android phone I have ever owned. I have had to factory reset this thing 4 times in 8 months and have to reboot it at least once a week. Mine has the sound/volume bug where the sound frequently gets reduced to almost nothing with all of the volumes set to 100% . The only way I've found to get the volume back is to reboot. The battery life is wildly inconsistent and unpredictable. Using any Bluetooth connected device is a total crap shoot and at the whim of whatever mood this thing wakes up in.

There is no way a phone with these specifications should ever lag or stutter... Yet I have intermittent lag and stutter in the UI and most apps. Not consistent enough to really troubleshoot, but more than enough to make the user experience garbage.

We have 3 Turbo 2s on my account and each one has its own set of "issues". I have had all of this phone's issues I am willing to put up with.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Fortunately for me, my DT2 has been pretty much problem free. Not sure if I'm ready for a phone without a headphone jack. I really do like the Moto software -- especially the Moto Display notifications without having to wake up the phone.

My next Android phone will probably be the Nexus or Pixel or whatever they call it. It looks like Google is going to go their own way in better integrating the hardware with Android and I like the idea of constant updates. If I had to choose a new Android phone today (which I don't) I would probably pick the S7 (I like the size, specs, and camera) or perhaps a Z Play -- but I want to learn more about the camera before I warm up the Z Play. I don't care about super fast processors and a super hi res display....

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I was going to try the Galaxy 7 Edge, then Note 7 came out. I was seriously considering that until its use for grilling a hot dog became topic. Now back to considering the 7 Edge. Whatever I decide, unfortunately it won't be the next Droid. I'm over this Turbo 2 and should've kept my original Maxx.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I've got my old Maxx I was figuring to sell but hadn't gotten around to, yet. Just need to clean up a couple things off it...but it's like new, no scratches.

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I love mine, best smart phone yet, but if I was to sell and upgrade the HTC Pixel + or whatever it will be called would be top of the list along with the S7 Edge.

I could see keeping it till the 2 years is up, getting a "refreshed" one and keeping it another 2. Dang impressive phone.

Last edited:

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
We have three on our account. We got them a week after release. So many issues with all three.

Called Motorola finally about 90 days ago and they replaced all three for us due to the issues. I have had zero issues with anything since, and we were having daily issues from day one with original units.

Not sure if quality control has gotten better, or if initial units just had bad hardware, but I would suggest contacting Motorola directly for replacement.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
HTC 10 is so great. Just double tap to wake up. The right size, etc. Fast charging, super DAC's for headphones. This might be the best phone out there now. I put a Dbrand carbon fiber skin on it and it feels just great. Good luck in your search.

kirKauai

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I am still having a great experience with my Droid Turbo 2, and my last couple of phones have been from Motorola because I have been pleased with where their hardware / software philosophy has taken their phones. I very happy with the performance of my Moto phones. Even my wife loves her original Moto X, to the point of not being interested in upgrading to a new phone.

I prefer as close to a stock Android experience as possible and the Motorola phones provide me with that as well as bringing great, but subtle user enhancements with their Moto Actions, Display and Voice. I believe they have been improving their hardware builds as well, and although there are currently only a few that I would use I think they have done a much better job with their "Mods" than LG did with the "Friends".

What I am less pleased with is where the carrier experience comes into the picture - bloatware and extremely lagging update processes.

With all of that in mind I think if I would switch to another Brand I would look strongly to the new Pixel XL.

I believe there would be some little losses in software and hardware, but at the same time there would be some gains - the option to go with Google Fi as the carrier and much quicker update professes. While still not the same Google has been trying to incorporate some of the user experiences that the Moto software provides.

shawngmc

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had it with this phone.. too many issues. Multiple resets and it's still laggy and just not fun to use anymore. What I'm not sure about is where to go from here. I love the Moto experience and truly feel I'll miss it if I go to say the Galaxy S7. I know for sure if I do go that way I'll make sure to strip it as much Touch Wiz as I can with the Samsung Lock UI and maybe the Google now launcher or Action Launcher that I use now. My debate is should I consider the new Moto Z line? Since cool stuff there, I'm not really into the mods specifically but the phone seems to be well made. I'm skeptical of the Moto software now because my last two turbos have been laggy after just 6 months of use. Anyone else considering jumping off the turbo 2 into something new?

I was at the same point you are, but I found a few things that really helped:

- Quite a bit of lag, especially in Chrome, can come from. Accessibility providers. This is a Android-wide issue; I had to disable LastPass auto-fill to have a usable phone.
- I have had some power and heat issues, and two things really helped. First off, only turbocharge when you need juice fast - for the overnight, a regular charger is better for heat management.
- On top of that, check your installed apps. There are a few bad apples that seem innocent but cause major battery drain and lag. CVS (the pharmacy) and GasBuddy are two known offenders here; they, by default, look for Bluetooth beacons to try to determine if you are at an associated retail store. You can disable the feature, but I kicked both to the curb myself, and I was rewarded with a faster, longer lasting phone.
- Google has a tool called Battery Historian. While the name implies battery usage, it's also a great view into which apps are staying active during lock and/or chugging CPU.

Personally, I was still debating the Pixel phones, but I'm worried about that price tag and I want root again.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. The Turbo 2 has been like a Toyota Camry for me: Utterly reliable, but boring and uninspired at the same time. It has no glaring, deal breaking weaknesses but it does have a bunch of small niggles that collectively suck the fun out of using this phone. Things like bad low light camera performance, no manual controls, no fingerprint sensor, bloatware, slow updates, power-hungry screen, and poor resale value. The vibration motor crapped out on me 8 months in, but luckily Verizon was nice in getting me a replacement.

No Pixel phones or Z phones for me. The Pixels lack water resistance and expandable storage and are waaayyy overpriced, and the Z's still have a mediocre camera, have huge bezels so are too big for me, and no headphone jack is a deal breaker.

Once I see a good deal on the S7, I'm ditching my T2 and getting one. It just has everything I need: smaller size, waterproofing, best camera, best 3rd party support. The infuriating thing is I can't seem to find a good deal on the S7 without going the refurb route. Nearly every flagship released in the spring/summer this year already has significant discounts on them... except for the S7.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. The Turbo 2 has been like a Toyota Camry for me: Utterly reliable, but boring and uninspired at the same time. It has no glaring, deal breaking weaknesses but it does have a bunch of small niggles that collectively suck the fun out of using this phone. Things like bad low light camera performance, no manual controls, no fingerprint sensor, bloatware, slow updates, power-hungry screen, and poor resale value. The vibration motor crapped out on me 8 months in, but luckily Verizon was nice in getting me a replacement.

No Pixel phones or Z phones for me. The Pixels lack water resistance and expandable storage and are waaayyy overpriced, and the Z's still have a mediocre camera, have huge bezels so are too big for me, and no headphone jack is a deal breaker.

Once I see a good deal on the S7, I'm ditching my T2 and getting one. It just has everything I need: smaller size, waterproofing, best camera, best 3rd party support. The infuriating thing is I can't seem to find a good deal on the S7 without going the refurb route. Nearly every flagship released in the spring/summer this year already has significant discounts on them... except for the S7.
The Z Force does not have a mediocre camera fwiw. Now the regular Z is somewhat mediocre.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Z Force does not have a mediocre camera fwiw. Now the regular Z is somewhat mediocre.

From what I've seen posted in various reviews of the Zs, the camera performance goes: Moto Z Force, Moto Z Play, then Moto Z.