Leaving Droid 2! What's next?

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
The Z Force does not have a mediocre camera fwiw. Now the regular Z is somewhat mediocre.

Just looked up specs on the Z Play. If it truly has a 2 day of heavy use, 8-10hr SOT battery life I might actually go for that one! As for the camera, the Z Play seems decent. If it isn't up to my standards, at least it has manual controls and I could wait for a deal on the Hasselblad mod.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
From what I've seen posted in various reviews of the Zs, the camera performance goes: Moto Z Force, Moto Z Play, then Moto Z.

So you are saying that it is your understanding that the Z Play has a better camera than the Moto Z???

Can anyone point me to a thorough review of the Z Play??? I am most interested in learning more about the camera and how it stacks up the Droid Turbo 2. Camera specs are essentially meaningless as I think my Iphone 5 which has FEWER megapixels than my DT2 took better pictures than my DT2.

The battery life reports that I have been reading from users for the Z Play are impressive...

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
So you are saying that it is your understanding that the Z Play has a better camera than the Moto Z???

Can anyone point me to a thorough review of the Z Play??? I am most interested in learning more about the camera and how it stacks up the Droid Turbo 2. Camera specs are essentially meaningless as I think my Iphone 5 which has FEWER megapixels than my DT2 took better pictures than my DT2.

The battery life reports that I have been reading from users for the Z Play are impressive...

There are a ton of Z Play reviews online if you search for them. The general consensus is similar to the Turbo 2: Pretty good in good lighting, but will struggle a bit in low light. However, despite not having OIS it does have a significantly bigger pixel size than the Turbo 2, 1.3 micrometers vs 1.12. This leads me to believe that while its low light performance might not match that of LG and Samsung, it will be better than the T2. Its manual camera controls could help in that regard as well.

Looking at photo samples from a ton of reviews, they look better (a lot less noise) to my eyes than my T2's low light photos. Additionally, I played with one at a Verizon store yesterday and the shutter speed and in general the whole camera app is much faster than my T2's.

Hope this helps. I did a crap ton of research on the Z Play and I'm sold. Unless that $200 off coupon code goes bad or something, I'll be ordering mine later today.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Got my Z Play today. $200 online Verizon coupon + $200 trade in value for my T2 meant I got the Z Play for 8 bucks!

I'd wholeheartedly recommend this phone. Battery life is beast, over a day with nearly 5 hours of SOT I only ran it down to 57%. The software is more refined, the camera is just as good, fingerprint sensor is great, and the thing actually runs faster than the T2 despite the lesser processor. Oh, and it barely gets warm unlike the fire breathing SD810 in the T2. Nice job Lenovorola!

bdrakr

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Got my Z Play today. $200 online Verizon coupon + $200 trade in value for my T2 meant I got the Z Play for 8 bucks!

I'd wholeheartedly recommend this phone. Battery life is beast, over a day with nearly 5 hours of SOT I only ran it down to 57%. The software is more refined, the camera is just as good, fingerprint sensor is great, and the thing actually runs faster than the T2 despite the lesser processor. Oh, and it barely gets warm unlike the fire breathing SD810 in the T2. Nice job Lenovorola!

Where did you get this coupon code? I'm asking for science.

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Best buy, costco and sams all had it for $100 not long ago (if your account can still use 2 years) with headsets and gift cards thrown in.

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
What is the $200 coupon? I'll buy the Z play now if that's the case. I think after seeing that it's on the list to recieve Nougat this is the best phone available for the money?

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

How did you get $200 trade in price for the T2 mine shows $98

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Coupon deal expired on Saturday. Hopefully another one will show up. It was killer. $200 off plus got $300 for my wife's LG G4 that Verizon gave me in another deal last year. If my wife said she wanted my Force instead of the Play other than the camera I wouldn't hesitate. OK, I wouldn't hesitate because happy wife, happy life but you get my point.

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I hope so too. I'll keep an eye out in the Play forum. I have to say I was really hoping that the Pixel would be my next phone but now that the Z play has been noted to be getting the Nougat update ( grain of salt ) I can't think of a better phone to buy honestly for the money of course.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I hope so too. I'll keep an eye out in the Play forum. I have to say I was really hoping that the Pixel would be my next phone but now that the Z play has been noted to be getting the Nougat update ( grain of salt ) I can't think of a better phone to buy honestly for the money of course.

Apparently Verizon just put up a new code today for $100 off a smartphone (online only). It's WEEKEND100. It's for select phones though, so you'll have to see if it works with the Z Play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci