Strange contacts.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I went to phone work this afternoon & I noticed in my contacts I had about 10 no names & a lot of old friends & phone numbers added to my contacts. I have no idea how they got in to my contacts. The last time I contacted these people was when I was still at school or college so about 10 or more years ago. Pretty sure I didn't have a smartphone of any kind back then. I've checked Facebook & the upload contacts setting is off. Any idea how these other contacts got added to my phone without me actually putting them in?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Accounts. Is there anything else there besides Google and Facebook? How about LinkedIn?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tap each of those entries and see if they have a Contacts sync toggle. Each one that's syncing contacts might be the one that's responsible.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
There are only 2 that sync contacts which is WhatsApp & Google. Is there a way to see a list of contacts Google has for my account?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing that it is what Google calls collected contacts - contacts that they find in your mail account that you didn't have in Google Contacts.

On a computer browser, go to https://www.google.com/contacts/?cplus=0#contacts and look on the left for "other contacts".

I don't have the X Force, but you should be able to go into settings in contacts to decided which contacts that you want to show, tap google, tap your google account name, and choose the groups that you want to see - and turn off the other contacts. Or just delete them from Google contacts on the web.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
By the way, I have always hated that "feature" of Google contacts. I want to decided which contacts show up for me, thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It'd be unusual for the phone's Contacts apps to show those collected contacts, though. I see those extra contacts on the Google Contacts website, but I've never seen them in the actual Contacts app of any of my devices.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I am guessing that it is what Google calls collected contacts - contacts that they find in your mail account that you didn't have in Google Contacts.

On a computer browser, go to https://www.google.com/contacts/?cplus=0#contacts and look on the left for "other contacts".

I don't have the X Force, but you should be able to go into settings in contacts to decided which contacts that you want to show, tap google, tap your google account name, and choose the groups that you want to see - and turn off the other contacts. Or just delete them from Google contacts on the web.

Had a look at that & all my contacts there are the ones I've got on my phone that I need. No idea where these other ones came from. If it wasn't from Google then it must be WhatsApp then.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon