Upgrade to the Pixel?

kadmanMusic

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about upgrading from my T2 to the Pixel, but am concerned I'm really going to miss my Moto features, mainly the quick notifications without turning the phone on. Anyone else thinking about moving over or have any thoughts?

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was kinda considering it at first but I have since decided just to stick with my T2 for a while longer. I am like you I like the features that Moto has and I would miss that. I also like the wireless charging. My battery is still kicking and would probably get me through a day and a half if I tried, it still has plenty when I sit it on my wireless charger late at night. I think the only real noticeable upgrade you would see if you switched would be the camera, and I am just not that much of a "phone camera" guy for that to make me switch. The screen is probably just a tick better on the Pixel but for me that is not that big a deal either, I don't sit around watching movies or lots of videos on my phone or play games on my phone, I prefer to do that sort of stuff sitting in the recliner in front of the 60" HD screen with surround sound. The pixel doesn't have an SD card slot either so that would make me lean toward the 128gb XL which is pretty darn expensive. The XL version is the one that is pretty close to the same dimensions as the T2 which is comfortable to me. Just my thoughts.

kadmanMusic

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. My thought was the camera, but I don't know if that outweighs the moto features. I think if there is a killer black Friday deal I would jump on it, but I can't justify the price right now. Especially since we all know how often new phones get announced. Seems like there's always something better around the bend.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
And the quick flip of the wrist to turn on the camera! Love that, too....

You can double-tap the Pixel power button to launch the camera. The twist gesture is used within the camera app to flip between the front and back camera. (Plus there is also a gesture to swipe down on the fingerprint scanner to swipe down the notification shade.)

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, Doog! That's pretty big. After now watching CNet's review, it sure sounds like a super option. Funny, tho', they didn't bother talking about the radios! lol So how does it work as an actual phone? Moto doesn't drop calls and I get service in some pretty tough places at times....

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I would like the improved camera. And a fingerprint reader -- although I would prefer a fingerprint reader on the front of the phone.

I don't want a phone any bigger than my DT2 though -- Actually the DT2 is a little large for my liking. The smaller Pixel would be more to by liking, however, I wish it were a little thicker (bigger battery) as I really like my 5 hour screen time on my DT2 and I saw somewhere else that folks with the smaller pixel are only getting about 3 hour screen time.

ajamudc

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I just made the move to the Pixel XL. I miss the ambient display notifications, but otherwise I'm really pleased. The Pixel camera is much better and the phone is just really smooth.

bubbad3

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just made the move to the Pixel XL. I miss the ambient display notifications, but otherwise I'm really pleased. The Pixel camera is much better and the phone is just really smooth.

Same here, couldn't resist the Pixel XL for some reason. Received it on Thursday, took a few days to shake the T2 functions but now there's no going back.
Between the Nova launcher gestures and Gravity Screen app, it now has the best of both phones. Well, maybe not the same as the hand waving over the screen, but now I just tilt it and the lock screen comes up.

Last edited:

Hiltongrizzly

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I received the Pixel the first day- on the 20th. Sent it back the 21st. Loved the phone feel and software but missed the Turbo 2 font size, moto actions like flashlight and camera and expandable memory and of course the shattershield.
I put an OtterBox commuter case on the pixel and the two click power button activation for the camera could not be done with one hand. SO much slower than the Turbo. Plus I needed an OtterBox to get some protection and with the case the phone is bulkier than Turbo and I dont need a case with my turbo.
THEN I found out the Turbo will get the nougat update! A paid for phone with all these features is tough to compare to the Pixel and case at about $900. No stereo speakers on the Pixel, and I would have change (more $$) my car charger, normal charger for living room and more. It is a great phone for sure but how can I justify the cost and lose features the Turbo 2 has and I have come to rely on?

Hiltongrizzly

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I also forgot to add that the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel must be used Everytime to unlock it. It was very annoying and had to be picked up to do it. There isn't an option for a NO lock on the lock screen like on my Turbo 2. Sucked, quite frankly.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
THEN I found out the Turbo will get the nougat update!

Just a quick note that you shouldn't count that chicken until it hatches. The Droid Maxx/Ultra/Mini were promised Lollipop; it never came. The Turbo was (and still is) promised Marshmallow; it still hasn't arrived, and with Lenovo working on Nougat for the newer phones, who knows if it ever will?

I hope it does, and maybe it will, but I would set my expectation on doubting the Nougat update.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I also forgot to add that the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel must be used Everytime to unlock it. It was very annoying and had to be picked up to do it. There isn't an option for a NO lock on the lock screen like on my Turbo 2. Sucked, quite frankly.

Can't you use Smartlocks so that you don't have to use the fingerprint reader all the time??? Granted Smartlocks on the DT2 was very much a hit or miss proposition...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You can't use a PIN, pattern, or password unlock?? This I find hard to believe...

kadmanMusic

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Same here, couldn't resist the Pixel XL for some reason. Received it on Thursday, took a few days to shake the T2 functions but now there's no going back.
Between the Nova launcher gestures and Gravity Screen app, it now has the best of both phones. Well, maybe not the same as the hand waving over the screen, but now I just tilt it and the lock screen comes up.

Are you unlocked version from Google or the Verizon version?

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

Ambient display with the had waving would be the Moto feature I will miss the most. I am interested in the smaller Pixel. I wish i could find more information about SOT for the smaller pixel, however, all folks seem to be posting about is the bigger one.

I would LOVE the better camera. The un-flagship caliber camera is by biggest gripe about the DT2. Followed by the lack of a fingerprint reader.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon