File size limit for .mp3's?

mdslammer

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello,
I have the Droid Turbo 2 with a 128Gb sim card. This is where I store all my music and videos. I have no problem dropping in albums (.mp3's) purchased on Amazon. They show up in my "Play Music" as normal.
However, I have a folder that has about 90 .mp3's of my favorite tunes. I drop the folder in my additional 128gb drive. I can see it there inside the phones registry.

But, when I go to play it, the folder is nowhere to be found. Under "unknown" artist it should, but doesn't not show up. Why is that? Is there a file size limit in a folder that cancels out being accessible?
How can I get this to work or can I?

Thank you for your replies and help regarding this matter.

Mark

mdslammer

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello ManiacJoe,

I'm running System Version: 24.31.22kinzie_verizon.verizon.en.US
Build Number MCK24.183.22

As far as the music app, I have been using the one that came with my Droid Turbo 2 called: Play Music (orange triangle icon with a circle and a musical 8th note in the center. I also downloaded a second player recently called Pi Music Player. I have no luck with either seeing or playing the custom folders.

Mark

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the music app able to see anything on the SD card at all? Also, use a file manager app to look inside the directory where those music files are -- do you see a file called ".nomedia"? If so, delete that file. It instructs the system to ignore that directory when scanning for media.

There is no filesize limit for mp3 files. If they're on an SD card and the card is formatted as FAT32, then there's a 4 GB filesize limit for any file, but I doubt you have any mp3 files that are that big.

mdslammer

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello B. Diddy,
Yes, the app that came installed with my Droid Turbo 2, "Play Music", see's all my albums I purchased on Amazon as .mp3 files.
I've dropped them onto the SD card, they show up in the Play Music app and are accessible. However, when I drop in a folder with selected .mp3 files, nothing is visible/accessible.

I don't know where the "file manager app" is. I've looked in Settings/Apps but there is no "file manager app".
How would I also determine is the SD card is formatted as FAT32? In any event, the folder which I'm trying to add and access is 1.1Gb and it has 95 .mp3's.
Note: all these .mp3's are already installed and accessible on the purchased albums. I'm just trying to put the ones I frequent a lot in one concentrated folder..

Please advise and thanks very much for helping.

MDslammer

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, most file managers (which are third party apps you will find in the app store for Motorola phones, since Moto does not include one by default) will not see hidden files like .nomedia unless you change the settings to show hidden files. (On *nix operating systems like Android, files and folders that start with a period are hidden files and folders.)

A good file manager is apparently Asus File Manager. I've never used it; you'll have to look at the settings to make sure that it shows hidden files.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you give an example of a folder with mp3 files that don't show up? Do the mp3 files have any DRM (i.e., copy protection)? (My guess for the latter is no, since DRM is mostly gone these days.)

I like Total Commander, which is a free and ad-free file manager app. The File Manager app from ASUS is pretty good, as doogald suggested -- I've used it on my ASUS Zenfone 2, but apparently it has ads.

If the device came with a file manager, it's usually called something like My Files, Files, or File Manager. There might be a very basic file manager that came with the system -- go to Settings>Storage, scroll down, and see if there's an Explore option.

It looks like the FAT32 vs exFAT issue is not relevant at this time, but if you want to know what your card is formatted in, the easiest way I know of is to Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, insert it into your computer, open Windows Explorer, right-click the card, and tap Properties.