Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who gets it post some thoughts.

Give it about 15-20 minutes and may as well charge while you do it since the phone is useless otherwise during the install. (Standard for any phone, pretty much.)

If you have a Downloads shortcut on one of your screens, it'll disappear and have to be re-added. I am sure other apps may do the same -- provided they still exist. And FYI: Downloads is appearing as icons, but there is a quick easy-to-find button in the upper right that you can click on to flip from icons to list and vice versa.

On that note, the messaging app from Marshmallow is gone. Without setting up Messenger for texts (which is SMS Messages), I had my girlfriend send me a text message. It defaulted it to Facebook Messenger and was a freaking mess. There was no other choice but to set up the SMS Messenger app so I could separate SMS Messages from the Facebook Messenger app. (And both are labeled "Messenger" in your apps drawer. Nice! Least they have different icons and you know they're different.)

And then I had to go into Facebook Messenger options and turn off SMS messages so 1) Facebook Messenger wouldn't be the default app for SMS, and 2) turn off SMS messages completely so they would be out of the list and leave Facebook Messenger as just that: Messages from Facebook contacts. Facebook Messenger was NEVER set up for this before, but because post-update I did nothing else initially, they had to go somewhere. I can only imagine if Facebook Messenger wasn't installed what would have happened.

This new SMS messenger app is also bad in the sense that it auto-assigns colors to different people, which is a direct match to the randomly assigned colored background if you view them in your Contacts app. The old one I had it set as blue for my messages and the other person was the default white or whatever and I liked it. Now they're the colored message and I'm the default white.

In the main list of messages of the SMS messenger app, if you don't have a picture of them in contacts, you will see the white letter in a circle of the auto-assigned color. And when you open it up, all messages are in that color unless you go and change it in the thread's options. If you have a picture for the contact already, you'll see the picture in the main list, but again, whatever color is in the background if you edit the contact in Contacts? That's the color you see in the thread. And there is also no options in Contacts or SMS Messenger to set a mass default for everyone's color to be the same, at least not that I have found.

Basically, I don't want a kaleidoscope. I want simple, same freaking color messages. Really, I want the old messenger app. I like change and progress, but it doesn't mean I like everything to change. Understand what I mean?

I know my messenger rant probably sounds petty to some, but, it's one of the main things I use, so it bothers me.

I will report more as I experience it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Give it about 15-20 minutes and may as well charge while you do it since the phone is useless otherwise during the install. (Standard for any phone, pretty much.)

If you have a Downloads shortcut on one of your screens, it'll disappear and have to be re-added. I am sure other apps may do the same -- provided they still exist. And FYI: Downloads is appearing as icons, but there is a quick easy-to-find button in the upper right that you can click on to flip from icons to list and vice versa.

On that note, the messaging app from Marshmallow is gone. Without setting up Messenger for texts (which is SMS Messages), I had my girlfriend send me a text message. It defaulted it to Facebook Messenger and was a freaking mess. There was no other choice but to set up the SMS Messenger app so I could separate SMS Messages from the Facebook Messenger app. (And both are labeled "Messenger" in your apps drawer. Nice! Least they have different icons and you know they're different.)

And then I had to go into Facebook Messenger options and turn off SMS messages so 1) Facebook Messenger wouldn't be the default app for SMS, and 2) turn off SMS messages completely so they would be out of the list and leave Facebook Messenger as just that: Messages from Facebook contacts. Facebook Messenger was NEVER set up for this before, but because post-update I did nothing else initially, they had to go somewhere. I can only imagine if Facebook Messenger wasn't installed what would have happened.

This new SMS messenger app is also bad in the sense that it auto-assigns colors to different people, which is a direct match to the randomly assigned colored background if you view them in your Contacts app. The old one I had it set as blue for my messages and the other person was the default white or whatever and I liked it. Now they're the colored message and I'm the default white.

In the main list of messages of the SMS messenger app, if you don't have a picture of them in contacts, you will see the white letter in a circle of the auto-assigned color. And when you open it up, all messages are in that color unless you go and change it in the thread's options. If you have a picture for the contact already, you'll see the picture in the main list, but again, whatever color is in the background if you edit the contact in Contacts? That's the color you see in the thread. And there is also no options in Contacts or SMS Messenger to set a mass default for everyone's color to be the same, at least not that I have found.

Basically, I don't want a kaleidoscope. I want simple, same freaking color messages. Really, I want the old messenger app. I like change and progress, but it doesn't mean I like everything to change. Understand what I mean?

I know my messenger rant probably sounds petty to some, but, it's one of the main things I use, so it bothers me.

I will report more as I experience it.

Sounds like they got rid of the old Android Messaging app and replaced it with the Google Messenger/Android Messages app.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like they got rid of the old Android Messaging app and replaced it with the Google Messenger/Android Messages app.

Yes, it is Android Messages. I went to the Play Store to update anything, and it said that needed updated and gave me the name.

Also, I am sure some of this is found in the Nougat forum but anyways...
-- App drawer is now a vertical up/down slide for every app owned. You can also use a search bar to type in and find what you need.
-- The pull down from the top has been tweaked and so has the appearance of messages. The "Connected to (Wi-Fi Network) message doesn't seem to be appearing all the time, either. This is not hard to figure out at all.
-- Settings, when opened, has "Suggestions" on things you should add. Hit the three vertical dots to remove each one.
-- Easter Egg: In settings, go to "About Phone", click on "Android 7.0" a few times, then tap the "N" a couple of times, press and hold until it vibrates, and a cat picture appears below the N. If you do it wrong it's a red circle/slash. You can back all the way out to the home screen once you get the cat icon below. Then, go to the top menu, drag it down, hit edit so you can "drag to add tiles" and scroll down and you will see the cat head icon for the Easter egg. Press/hold/drag it into your tray of default actions (like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) and this should help you the rest of the way. Looks like you bait the cat with treats/food to appear. This should help, too.

Ole Man Dan

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Verizon Wireless Motorola Droid Turbo 2 last night. My phone had been running slow, so I wiped it and reset it. Smooth Sailing now. Looks like a winner.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Facebook has always been a PITA about stuff like this. You turn off default options, you get an update to the app - suddenly, the defaults are turned on again. I hate that.
Though, that said - a lot of people like the Facebook Messenger app as an SMS client.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Facebook has always been a PITA about stuff like this. You turn off default options, you get an update to the app - suddenly, the defaults are turned on again. I hate that.
Though, that said - a lot of people like the Facebook Messenger app as an SMS client.

Well in this case... Facebook is possibly off the hook. I know, scary thought, right?

But because my old stock SMS app was removed and replaced by the new one, and I had yet to turn the new one on and set it up, messages probably defaulted to Facebook Messenger and forced all options for SMS to be turned on.

Which after I used the new SMS app, I turned all SMS stuff off in Facebook Messenger.

I used the new SMS app tonight quite a bit. Just not a fan. I prefer ROY G BIV to be in a rainbow, not the leading creator of my messaging app, lol.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The Easter Egg game, I've caught five cats. The first one I named after my cat and I swear five times he appeared again.

(Once you catch a numbered cat and rename it, if you catch that number again, it says the name you gave that cat and basically says, "Haha, the cat you own ate your bait.")

Waiting to see what others I catch.

I am that bored, haha.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have messed around with my phone a LOT in like 12-13 hours or whatever since updating. Aside from a few aesthetic changes that happens from one OS to the next, I really haven't found much to be different based on my personal usage, outside of my SMS messenger rant. (And stupid childish addiction to the Easter Egg game haha.)

Your mileage, of course, may vary. But please do share your stories. And as I discover other things, I will share those, too.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Nothing much to see here. No slowdowns or glitches.
I use a 3rd party SMS and don't have Facebook messenger installed, so no issues there to report.

It's all good on my DT2

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have messed around with my phone a LOT in like 12-13 hours or whatever since updating. Aside from a few aesthetic changes that happens from one OS to the next, I really haven't found much to be different based on my personal usage, outside of my SMS messenger rant. (And stupid childish addiction to the Easter Egg game haha.)

Your mileage, of course, may vary. But please do share your stories. And as I discover other things, I will share those, too.

I have checked out the split screen and quick switch between recent apps and it seems to work pretty good, keep in mind not all apps support split screen mode. Here is a list of some things that you may not know changed and can check them out when you get a chance.

20 great new features in Android 7.0 Nougat | Greenbot

:D

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the ringtone volume starts out soft and then gets progressively louder I know there's a setting somewhere but I can't find it anyone remember how to fix this thank you

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the ringtone volume starts out soft and then gets progressively louder I know there's a setting somewhere but I can't find it anyone remember how to fix this thank you

It might like be the Moto Zs now - where there is no user-facing setting to change it.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So I got Android Messenger, and the tray said one message is new when my girlfriend messaged me. It hasn't gone away and I went through every thread of messages.

A friend then messaged me, and now it says two messages are new. Still hasn't gone away. Rebooted phone.

This glitch never happened until a couple of hours ago.

Davis L

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
For some reason, my flashlight no longer works after the update. Not the moto action, or the flashlight button on the drag down

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I got Android Messenger, and the tray said one message is new when my girlfriend messaged me. It hasn't gone away and I went through every thread of messages.

A friend then messaged me, and now it says two messages are new. Still hasn't gone away. Rebooted phone.

This glitch never happened until a couple of hours ago.

I think it may be a Google Messenger issue. I see this on my Moto Z Force Droid on Nougat.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My Google keyboard lags now to the point where the letters are frozen as I type the words and sentences!

I had that before with the original Turbo. Only way I could fix it was...

*Sigh*

Factory reset.

Try a cache wipe of the app, and then your phone, and uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard, before going factory reset.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana