Nougat Messaging

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll start by saying I dearly miss the simplicity of the stock Motorola messaging app. With that said, the new Android messages is what I have. I updated on Saturday to Nougat, and had no issues. Now the Android messages icon shows I have 11 new texts when I have zero unread texts. Can anyone help me out with this one?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll start by saying I dearly miss the simplicity of the stock Motorola messaging app. With that said, the new Android messages is what I have. I updated on Saturday to Nougat, and had no issues. Now the Android messages icon shows I have 11 new texts when I have zero unread texts. Can anyone help me out with this one?

I'm having the same issue! Mine shows 4 unread messages.

AGinCO

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Nothing in Archive. Nothing unread anywhere yet it shows 10 unread messages. I've restarted a couple times too. Any other suggestions?

TheNeckerCube

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I just want to say I have the same issue after upgrading my Turbo 2 to Nougate 7.0. The Messages icon on my home screen shows 1 unread message even though I have read all messages. I only have 1 conversation and know there are no archives or unread messages at all. But still the Messages icon shows 1 unread.

lrbom

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I think I have found the issue. There is some sort of conflict between the Android Messages app and the Messages+ app. I am having the same issue with Android Messages showing unread texts even though I have opened them all. However, if you go to the Messages+ app, those texts are shown as unread. I "read" the texts in this app (and also set this as the default messaging app) and then switched back to Android Messages and reset this app as the default messaging app. The notification is now gone. However, for the moment it seems like you keep having to do this, unless you just use the Messages+ app is the default? Not looking to do this, so hopefully Android Messages releases an update in the very near future which corrects this issue.

west5567

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
My issue seemed to only start today, even though I did the update a few days ago. Now I am up to a count of 15 "unread" messages, but they have all been read. And I looked at Messages+ (which I never use), and there seem to be 15 messages that appear unread in that app. What gives? I did give feedback in the Messages app, letting them know of a problem, hoping more people complain and they rectify this!

Rnt2u

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I miss the simple old messenger. Having the same issues as everyone else. All new messages after the Nougat update and new messenger are marked unread even after being read. Have cleaned Cache and Data, disabled Messages+. Also sent feedback. They have to know by now there is an issue. Has anyone got this figured out yet?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I miss the simple old messenger. Having the same issues as everyone else. All new messages after the Nougat update and new messenger are marked unread even after being read. Have cleaned Cache and Data, disabled Messages+. Also sent feedback. They have to know by now there is an issue. Has anyone got this figured out yet?

I'm pretty sure that the answer is we need to wait for an app update. Clearly the new Messages app is not properly updating the read/unread flag on the messages database on this phone (and on other Moto phones.)

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this same issue as described, HOWEVER, I'm still on Marshmello on my Moto Z Play Droid. It started several weeks ago, out of the blue.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I got an update to Android Messages (Google Messenger) today that fixed this.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm downloading it now. Looks like it will work on MM too.

597381a1a3722aea4dbb647b9a72a782.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith