MotoMaker should have included Turbo's specs on the X

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
MotoMaker for the Moto X should have included more options to upgrade phone component to match the Turbo. There shouldn't even be a Turbo, just the X, and ideally at 2 or 3 sizes (5" & 5.5" or 4.7", 5.2" and 5.7-6").

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Great idea however they'd have to have separate production lines. Costing a lot of $$$$

Posted via the Android Central App

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
They are going to have separate production lines for the X, Turbo (and possibly Maxx), and Nexus X

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
For one thing, you are asking for Project Ara. That concept is coming. While it would be nice to have the option of a Turbo spec'd X, doing it is missing the point of the X. The X is a simple, feature rich phone that makes your life easier. I don't need the Turbo specs for that. The X (and OG X) do it just fine the way it is. And if they end up making the Maxx for the other carriers, whats the point in making those specs available on the X?

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Because the style and look of the X is much better then the Turbo.

Project Ara is interesting, but it will be a long time before attached components can compete with a clean slick prebuilt package.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
MotoMaker for the Moto X should have included more options to upgrade phone component to match the Turbo. There shouldn't even be a Turbo, just the X, and ideally at 2 or 3 sizes (5" & 5.5" or 4.7", 5.2" and 5.7-6").

There shouldn't be a Turbo? That's a very Apple thing to say. If you're gonna get rid of one, i day get rid of the X, the Turbo is much better looking, especially in red. But I'd rather have both available, since, you know, different people like different things.

Posted from the Avengers: Age of Droid Ultra

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
There shouldn't be a Turbo? That's a very Apple thing to say. If you're gonna get rid of one, i day get rid of the X, the Turbo is much better looking, especially in red. But I'd rather have both available, since, you know, different people like different things.

Posted from the Avengers: Age of Droid Ultra

I think what he is looking for is multiple X variants. Like the current one and a "super X", like the Turbo for an example. Like many, he wants more specs out the X. So instead of making a single X that suits someone like me, he would like to see 2 or 3 versions to choose. So in other words, no Turbo, just multiple X's. Right Eli?

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I think what he is looking for is multiple X variants. Like the current one and a "super X", like the Turbo for an example. Like many, he wants more specs out the X. So instead of making a single X that suits someone like me, he would like to see 2 or 3 versions to choose. So in other words, no Turbo, just multiple X's. Right Eli?

Correct. I don't get why Moto is essentially competing with itself. Make a great flagship phone and help it earn a name and reputation.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The Moto X is what Motorola wants.

The Droid Turbo is what Verizon wants.

They are two very different phones. People that want something like the Turbo are happy to see another carrier-produced phone. People who don't like carrier-produced phones don't like the idea, no matter how nice the phone is.

The two sides will never agree :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

They are two very different phones. People that want something like the Turbo are happy to see another carrier-produced phone. People who don't like carrier-produced phones don't like the idea, no matter how nice the phone is.

"Please explain to me the scientific nature of the whammy". DS

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Very much this!! And since this is Android Central and not iMore can we please stop with the "this phone shouldn't exist" crap. Android is about choice and there should always, always be choice. If you want different variants of the X that's fine, but to say there should be no Turbo is just Apple-esque nonsense.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I go into this thought a lot, laughing both at people that hate devices that don't match their assumptions and also those who think that every phone ought to be tailored to everyone and maxed out in every possible spec. That's not the game most OEMs are playing and it'd be a stupid game to try in the current market where technology is moving so quickly that it easily outpaces your pipeline - requiring costly "last minute" changes to try to "keep up". I'm so very glad that a couple of OEM's do play that game and that others sit back and make whatever they want. That opens up options for different folks with different perspectives and wish lists and usage philosophies.

So Moto didn't include an SD card and you want one, cool - we're both over it, buy an LG or HTC. So Apple didn't include that fancy QHD you thought they might - cool, good thing LG and Samsung did. Don't like OPPO's marketing blunders? Vote with your wallet. Want simplicity and bleeding edge updates along with a top spec package at a great price? Here's a nexus. Want a contract? Wait, really? Okay.

Want what you love, buy what you want, be happy with it and don't worry about what I bought. That's one great thing about the smartphone market being both so inexpensive and so fast moving - it's always easy to buy something else and sell yours if you were wrong about what you thought you wanted. These OEM's are saying something with your devices, and for most of them it's not, "please, please buy me!". Of course they need some sales (they are companies) but not every one is trying to be the one thing for everyone.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Very well said Darth Spock. There a lot of users that are not happy with the OG and new X for various reasons and that is fine. I've said it many times and I'll say it again, the Moto X is about the experience. And so far, my experience with the X has taught me to think differently about a smartphone. What does it offer to me to make my life easier? Some will not get it and I'm starting to understand that now.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Very well said Darth Spock. There a lot of users that are not happy with the OG and new X for various reasons and that is fine. I've said it many times and I'll say it again, the Moto X is about the experience. And so far, my experience with the X has taught me to think differently about a smartphone. What does it offer to me to make my life easier? Some will not get it and I'm starting to understand that now.

The best part is that it doesn't matter if they get it. If you're happy I'm happy for you, etc. I've got a nice collection of lighting up beeping gizmogadgektos and I love them all and they're exactly what I was hoping to get. All of my "things" have a certain flavor that speaks well to me and makes me very satisfied with how I interact with them.

This Droid Turbo is exactly what a lot of users were hoping for. As Jerry said, some were not. But for those that were, I think Moto just hit it out of the park for 'em. Which is kinda cool, because for the other half... moto just kinda hit it out of the park for 'em. Again. Moto may not be dropping Sammy or Apple numbers on the revenue line, but they're sure making a lot of users develop big, big smiles.