Droid Turbo vs Moto X

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to decide between the 2. The Turbo looks real cool and I really like the specs. My concern is the amount of bloatware and how the releases will be scheduled? Would the software releases be as zippy on the Turbo as they are with the Nexus and Moto X or would there be a longer wait time?

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
To me, the biggest difference between the two is the battery. If you are fine with the Moto X battery and screen size, that is probably fine for you. I am not sure the other features are enough to tip the scale.

Moto X has one of the smaller batteries performance wise of new phones, where the Turbo should have one of the larger batteries.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I was going to get the X decided on the Moto. If you are on Verizon, you'll get bloat on both phones. Aside from the usual Verizon bloat, it looks like the Turbo may get some "Droid" bloat like the Zap app. I usually disable what isn't useful anyway.

If Motorola does what they did with last year's X and Droids, updates were very fast. I expect the same again this time around since these phones are just Andoid with Moto Apps on them and not a true skin like Touchwiz.

I am trying to decide between the 2. The Turbo looks real cool and I really like the specs. My concern is the amount of bloatware and how the releases will be scheduled? Would the software releases be as zippy on the Turbo as they are with the Nexus and Moto X or would there be a longer wait time?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The only 2 real advantages the turbo has over the X is battery and ram. Camera *might* be better, but we won't know until it comes out. QHD on a 5.2" screen is completely useless. I had rather have the performance advantages of 1080p.

The advantages the moto x has is form factor, moto maker, and *probably* faster and longer updates.

So to sum, if battery and specs are your thing and the form factor does not bother you on the turbo, get the turbo. If you are big on form factor, customization, and super timely updates, the moto x is probably a better choice.

Sent from my XT1096

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

No one can know for certain, but I'd expect it to be similar to last year. The Moto X got Kit Kat very quickly, the Droids were only a couple of weeks after the X(and before any other manufacturer). The Droids skipped 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 because they were too buggy, but they got 4.4.4 before the X did. In other words, both got updated very quickly and there is really no advantage for one phone over the other in that category.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The only 2 real advantages the turbo has over the X is battery and ram. Camera *might* be better, but we won't know until it comes out. QHD on a 5.2" screen is completely useless. I had rather have the performance advantages of 1080p.

The advantages the moto x has is form factor, moto maker, and *probably* faster and longer updates.

So to sum, if battery and specs are your thing and the form factor does not bother you on the turbo, get the turbo. If you are big on form factor, customization, and super timely updates, the moto x is probably a better choice.

Sent from my XT1096

Please show me where its documented that 1080p has better performance than 2k. That was the rumor when the G3 came out, but updates cleared that up pretty quickly.
The Turbo also has a better chip in the 805 vs the 801 in the X. So the performance in the Droid should be much better than the X
Form factor is very subjective. I think the Turbo's is better, but that's my opinion and you have yours.
You're *probably* quite wrong about updates. The X was only a couple weeks ahead if the Droids last year in getting Kit Kat, And the Droids got 4.4.4 before the X did. It will most likely be the same this year-neither phone will have much of an edge over the other.

In sum, the only real advantage the X has is Motomaker. Form factor depends on the person and updates are a draw. While the specs are clearly in favor of the Turbo.

darkestred

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my XT1096

Do we now the dimensions of the turbo? I'm sure they'll be almost identical.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Don't mean to say anything out of character but if you're on verizon, is this a serious question? Just asking.

If the question is just about bloat, than I agree, get the Turbo as the bloat will be the same. If anything bogs the Turbo, it will be the screen resolution...even that is likely to be overcome by processor.

Posted via the Android Central App

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The specs are vastly superior, the battery which is easily the most important is vastly superior as well. I'd think most people would prefer the turbo while the x is a niche device designed towards those who are highly into tech. But I hear the turbo has the same x features like moto assist which definitely hurts the x.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Bloat is all the added and mostly unnecessary apps preloaded on the phone by the carrier.

All carriers do it Verizon more than others.

ATT puts a lot of bloat on also. Not sure if it is more than Verizon but since I am on ATT, I will say yes it is more! A reason I try to buy unlocked when I can.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Please show me where its documented that 1080p has better performance than 2k. That was the rumor when the G3 came out, but updates cleared that up pretty quickly.
The Turbo also has a better chip in the 805 vs the 801 in the X. So the performance in the Droid should be much better than the X
Form factor is very subjective. I think the Turbo's is better, but that's my opinion and you have yours.
You're *probably* quite wrong about updates. The X was only a couple weeks ahead if the Droids last year in getting Kit Kat, And the Droids got 4.4.4 before the X did. It will most likely be the same this year-neither phone will have much of an edge over the other.

In sum, the only real advantage the X has is Motomaker. Form factor depends on the person and updates are a draw. While the specs are clearly in favor of the Turbo.

QHD has 1.7 times as many pixels to push over 1080p. Last time I checked, the gpu in the 805 was not 70% more powerful than the the gpu in the 801, so 1080p will have a graphical advantage. And if you can see the difference between the 2 on a 5.2" screen, you have much better vision than I do.

I just assumed that everyone had a preference for ergo dynamic curved designs over large, squared off bricks. Apparently I was wrong.

While the Droid line has been not too far behind, the X has gotten updated faster and more consistently. I suspect that the gap will will get larger as time goes on and the the flagship x will be supported longer over the exclusive droids.

Sent from my XT1096

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Do we now the dimensions of the turbo? I'm sure they'll be almost identical.
Unless they were leaked in the manual, we do not. But with a battery that much larger, it is guaranteed to be at least thicker, if not a larger footprint as well. Plus the pictures make the turbo look to be the typical pre-moto x Motorola squared off brick design. Instead of the curved back on both of the x's.

Sent from my XT1096

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
This GPU business is a rather silly argument that will be conclusively decided mighty quickly once the phone is out.

Also, the G3 and Note 4 don't seem to suffer any lag attributable to the resolution. Are there even any apps that push native resolution on Android?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae