Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo Turbo charger only useful at low battery levels?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I saw a review that showed the Turbo charger bringing the battery on a Moto X from 8 or 11% up to 36% in 15 minutes. But if the battery is already at 50% or more, will the turbo charger still add another 8 hours in just 15 minutes or is it designed only to quick charge at low levels?

egginator

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Turbo charger only useful at low battery levels?

I saw a review that showed the Turbo charger bringing the battery on a Moto X from 8 or 11% up to 36% in 15 minutes. But if the battery is already at 50% or more, will the turbo charger still add another 8 hours in just 15 minutes or is it designed only to quick charge at low levels?

I've got a turbo charger right now for my Moto X and I can confirm that charging slows down to normal rates above what seems to be about the 50% threshold. It's also extremely large for a charger if you didn't know already. I don't regret getting it because it's useful when I'm out and about but I just wish it wasn't so big.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

I've got a turbo charger right now for my Moto X and I can confirm that charging slows down to normal rates above what seems to be about the 50% threshold. It's also extremely large for a charger if you didn't know already. I don't regret getting it because it's useful when I'm out and about but I just wish it wasn't so big.

Just how big is big? From pictures with the Moto X it looks about 2 x 2 x 1.5 not including the prongs. Next time you use it, could you take some measures and post? I know we all have a measuring device with us when we want to charge our phones. lol

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Well I guess I don't have to put my order in then. I'm not paying that much for a huge charger that only brings it up to half at a faster rate. What's the use in that?

Posted via the Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Does this mean we'll have to buy a Turbo branded (jumbo) power strip to plug this thing into?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

This is an inherent limit with current lithium battery technology, the charging algorithm will reduce current as the battery charge comes up to both protect the battery and prolong its life. It's a compromise, the faster it charges, the more heat it produces which leads to chemical degradation and shortened battery life span so there has to be a trade off, and I guess the engineers thought this was the best balance of battery life to charge speed.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

With all that's been said here, do you suppose it would be best overall to use a regular charger when a quick charge is not needed?

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

From what I gather, the quick charger will act as a normal charger when the battery level is high enough.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

From what I gather, the quick charger will act as a normal charger when the battery level is high enough.

Right, but at lower battery levels, if I don't need the quick charge, might it be better for the battery health to use a regular charger. -yes, I'm mildy OCD & anal.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. I think it's been said that quick charging shouldn't hurt, but I'll still use a normal charger when I have time.

Talking through tapping

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Would leaving it on the wireless charger every night (and not letting it run down) eventually impact battery life? That's what I did with my DNA. Battery life is pretty poor now but that may just be because it's two years old.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Would leaving it on the wireless charger every night (and not letting it run down) eventually impact battery life? That's what I did with my DNA. Battery life is pretty poor now but that may just be because it's two years old.
Lithium batteries prefer not to be deeply discharged, they actually benefit from frequent shallow charges...Nickel cadmium (older technology) batteries needed to be discharged occasionally or they would develop a memory which would limit the capacity. Most current lithium batteries have approximately a 500-600 cycle life before noticeable capacity loss.