Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo Here's hoping...Android L inbound

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Here's hoping...Android L inbound

No one would reasonably expect the Droid Turbo to come out of the gate with L. We'll wait 4-6 weeks, get Lollipop, then high-five. Besides, with bootlocker concerns, a 4.4 initial release is a better scenario to give owners the flexibility of potential rooting.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
No one would reasonably expect the Droid Turbo to come out of the gate with L. We'll wait 4-6 weeks, get Lollipop, then high-five. Besides, with bootlocker concerns, a 4.4 initial release is a better scenario to give owners the flexibility of potential rooting.

I'm a bit concerned about the Turbo being released with KK then shortly after getting the full upgrade to Lollipop. This is based on my VZW Droid Razr M experience. It worked flawlessly on ICS and JB, then Moto / VZW pushed KK months ago with no soak test and it pretty much bricked these phones.

They still haven't figured out how to fix all the problems they caused with the KK update and have abandoned ship on my model and a few others. Check out the official Moto forums and you will find the same issues for many Droid models that got a late KK update...including the Maxx :(

Sent from Uranus

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

The hope that I have is that Moto has had access to the preview versions of 5 for a while. I would hope they have designed around it with the device release and firmware release so close. This should be an easier scenario to get perfected than releasing a major firmware update to a phone that has been out for months and has possibly had a few OTA updates prior.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The difference is this: the Razr M was built with hardware that predated the hardware designed to be used with KitKat. The Droid Turbo, as it is rumored, is using the same exact hardware chipset that the Nexus 6 is using.

I have a Maxx with KK and there are very few issues with KK. Battery life is not as good as it was on JB, but it is only marginally worse (maybe 1% per hour more drain in my experience.) But, again, the 2013 Droids (and the Moto X were built with a hardware chipset that was different from the Snapdragon used in the reference Nexus 5. There were some weird bugs with the initial 4.4 update, but the 2013 Droids were the only phones with 4.4 for a long, long time - the Nexus phones and the Moto X were the only other phones that had 4.4, were quickly update to at least 4.4.2, and all other phones that received KitKat were delivered 4.4.2 or later. Once the 2013 Droids received 4.4.4 (six months later...), all of the bugs that I know of - the double home bug; the Google account disconnect when the phone lost network connectivity; the bluetooth issues - were fixed. Except for the slightly worse battery life, 4.4.4 is working great on the Droid Maxx.

The Turbo will be fine on Lollipop. There may be some bugs with the initial 5.0, but hopefully Motorola learned enough last year to wait for the 5.0.1 release before delivering their first lollipop updates to their phones. If not, then the bugs will just be a little frustrating.

I will suggest this, though, if you get the phone: make sure you plan on a factory data reset after the update. It's a pain, but it always goes better. (I just had terrible bugs on my iPad after the 8.0 update and had to redo that from scratch, too. It's not just Android that works better with a refresh and rebuild after an update.)

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The difference is this: the Razr M was built with hardware that predated the hardware designed to be used with KitKat. The Droid Turbo, as it is rumored, is using the same exact hardware chipset that the Nexus 6 is using.

I have a Maxx with KK and there are very few issues with KK. Battery life is not as good as it was on JB, but it is only marginally worse (maybe 1% per hour more drain in my experience.) But, again, the 2013 Droids (and the Moto X were built with a hardware chipset that was different from the Snapdragon used in the reference Nexus 5. There were some weird bugs with the initial 4.4 update, but the 2013 Droids were the only phones with 4.4 for a long, long time - the Nexus phones and the Moto X were the only other phones that had 4.4, were quickly update to at least 4.4.2, and all other phones that received KitKat were delivered 4.4.2 or later. Once the 2013 Droids received 4.4.4 (six months later...), all of the bugs that I know of - the double home bug; the Google account disconnect when the phone lost network connectivity; the bluetooth issues - were fixed. Except for the slightly worse battery life, 4.4.4 is working great on the Droid Maxx.

The Turbo will be fine on Lollipop. There may be some bugs with the initial 5.0, but hopefully Motorola learned enough last year to wait for the 5.0.1 release before delivering their first lollipop updates to their phones. If not, then the bugs will just be a little frustrating.

I will suggest this, though, if you get the phone: make sure you plan on a factory data reset after the update. It's a pain, but it always goes better. (I just had terrible bugs on my iPad after the 8.0 update and had to redo that from scratch, too. It's not just Android that works better with a refresh and rebuild after an update.)

Good points. What I might do is just wait to buy the Turbo until 5.0.1 update is already present on newly purchased models. I am so sick of doing FDRs to fix issues caused by updates from Motorola and Verizon that I refuse to do it for the Turbo.

PS. the Droid Razr M never got 4.4.4 and will forever be stuck on the buggy 4.4.2.

Battery life, WiFi, BT, messaging, and SD card issues still abound for us long forgotten owners of the Razr M :( Planned obsolescence?

Sent from Uranus

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I thought about waiting for pre-loaded L before buying, but I'm gonna take a contrarian POV here ... while most people want the newest, greatest update ASAP I'm pretty happy with 4.4.4 and will be happy with that on an L ready phone until I'm sure 5.0x is stable and bug free. If/when the benefits of L really materialize trouble free I'll upgrade then.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I thought about waiting for pre-loaded L before buying, but I'm gonna take a contrarian POV here ... while most people want the newest, greatest update ASAP I'm pretty happy with 4.4.4 and will be happy with that on an L ready phone until I'm sure 5.0x is stable and bug free. If/when the benefits of L really materialize trouble free I'll upgrade then.

Unfortunately my friendly carrier VZW doesn't permit me a choice once they push an update... It will keep popping up each day until I accept the update. This what killed my razr M... Forced Kitkat OTA update that was untested.

Sent from Uranus

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately my friendly carrier VZW doesn't permit me a choice once they push an update... It will keep popping up each day until I accept the update. This what killed my razr M... Forced Kitkat OTA update that was untested.

Sent from Uranus

Can't you just hit "decline" each day and move on? Yea, it's annoying, but it's not like they force you to take the update against your will.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Can't you just hit "decline" each day and move on? Yea, it's annoying, but it's not like they force you to take the update against your will.

That worked for about three weeks with my Razr M and then I accidentally hit Accept while texting one day. Pretty much forced.

Sent from Uranus

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

That worked for about three weeks with my Razr M and then I accidentally hit Accept while texting one day. Pretty much forced.

Sent from Uranus

Well, I can't protect against pilot error... :p

...adding, perhaps there's a permissions change that would require a password before updating? Or set your day-to-day usage as a non-administrative user? Not an Android expert so don't know if either of these are doable. If not, they should be.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Well, I can't protect against pilot error... :p

...adding, perhaps there's a permissions change that would require a password before updating? Or set your day-to-day usage as a non-administrative user? Not an Android expert so don't know if either of these are doable. If not, they should be.

It's pretty much forced...but I've got some other (personal) problems I can PM to you for your help :p

Sent from Uranus

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

If Turbo gets released with 5.0 it will have the same problems as if it were upgraded shortly after the release. I guess I don't have a lot of stuff on my phone as I have rarely had any problems with updates. However VOLTE is a different matter .